Monday, January 22, 2007

Who is Mike Tomlin?

Well the Steelers surprised me over the weekend and hired new coach Mike Tomlin. He is the former defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. To be honest I had never heard of him until the Steelers began their coaching search. As part of the NFL rules all teams must interview at least one minority candidate and I guess I just assumed that Tomlin's interview was a courtesy to comply with the NFL rules. It was all but assured that the Steelers would hire one of the assistant coaches. Tomlin supposedly interviewed very well and he is an up and comer as they say and he blew away the Rooney family.

I for one am excited about the hire. Yes Tomlin is an unknown commodity but then again so was Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher and they turned out well. I am relieved as well that they didn't hire Russ Grimm. As the search went on I thought all signs pointed to going with Grimm who would have been the safe choice. Grimm is a fine man but I don't think he would have been a great coach. His specialty was the offensive line and well let's just say that the line was a big part of Pittsburgh's problems and so why reward him. Plus I think the city and the team needed a shake up and the charismatic Tomlin will do just that.

No comments: