Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Family Part 3

I just returned from Pittsburgh. My nephew David and I took a short road trip to visit my Grandpa and my Aunt Nancy. Earlier this summer when my Grandpa came to Michigan he did not look very healthy and he reminded me of how my Grandpa Cobb looked shortly before he died of a heart attack. I was prepared to see him in poor health again but he really surprised me. He was upbeat and relatively energetic for an 82 year old. He took us out to eat and to the Carnegie Science Center.

One of the big changes in his life is that he recently started a part time job at a car auction. I was worried that working would be hard on him but I think having a job has been very good for him. He spoke about it constantly and for the first time in several years I got the impression that he had renewed purpose for living. Sometimes I think the lure of retirement is overstated and that not working actually hinders older men more than it helps them. Yes our bodies slow down but men are created to work and without a job many men lose interest in life.

Sunday morning he and I got up early and shared breakfast and the morning paper. It was one of those memories that I knew I wanted to remember even as it was unfolding. We talked about family, Pittsburgh sports and politics. At one point he told me he was worried about Wednesday's weather and how cold it would be to work that day. My aunt suggested he take the day off but he told me that he wanted to honor his obligation because his employer was counting on him. This old fashion notion is so contrary to what I see everyday at work. I hope that some of his work ethic has rubbed off on me over the years.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Thanks for sharing this blessing.