Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Obama is In

Well Obama made it official today that he is running for President. And really how could he not run? The media loves him and he will never be more popular than he is today. However there is one story that is being overlooked and it is his relationship with the so called leaders in the black community. I watched Al Sharpton last night on hardball and he was less than supportive of Obama.

At first I thought the reason for Obama's lukewarm reception was because many of the black leaders have invested their time and efforts into Clinton's campaign. But I have begun to think that maybe the real reason they are nervous about Obama is because they are jealous of him and fear they will lose their influence and power over the black community if he is elected president. You will never hear any of them say that but how do you think Jesse Jackson feels after he has led that community for years and he never once got the same favorable coverage that Obama gets. Now Obama shows up late to the party and he gets all the attention.

Watch this story as it unfolds. My guess is that unless Obama gives them the signals that he can be bought or controlled by the traditional black leadership, they will turn on him very quickly. Depending on how he responds to those attacks, Obama could end up coming out ahead and be seen as a new black leader that appeals to the white middle class. I am anxious to see what happens.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I didn't watch the Golden Globes.
Did Obama win for best actor?

Duke said...

I was listening to the Dianne Rheam show on MI radio in the last week or so. She noted that Obama is a smoker. I couldn't believe my ears, Dianne Rheam said we couldn't have, the country wouldn't accept a smoker as POTUS.