Monday, January 08, 2007

Family Part 2

Saturday my nephew Jacob celebrated his 17th Birthday. To commemorate the occasion my Mom invited the family over for dinner and cake on Friday night. While it's strange for me to realize I am old enough to have a nephew that is 17, it was fun to celebrate with him and the family. What we lacked at Christmas we shared Friday as everyone was more relaxed and engaging.

One thing that cracked me up is a relatively new family tradition that we happened to stumble upon. A few years ago at my Brother's birthday party my step dad Mike forgot Vince's name during the middle of the prayer. In the dead silence Jacob whispered out Vince's name to remind him and we all broke out laughter. Now at each birthday party at the beginning of the prayer both my nephews remind Mike who we are praying for. I laugh out loud every time. It's not much as far as family traditions go but it's unique and it's ours.

No comments: