Tuesday, January 09, 2007

MASH

TV land has begun showing old Mash episodes and I have been staying up late each night to get my fix. Growing up MASH was my favorite show and to this day I still enjoy watching it even though Ihave seen almost every episode three or four times. For some reason this particular show has stood up to the test of time.

My Co-worker and I were discussing MASH earlier today and having the usual discussions over who are favorite characters were or if we liked the Trapper John/Henry Blake era or the BJ/Col. Potter era. Both have their good points but I think I liked the earlier ones better as they were a little less preachy or more comedic. Although I do like Col. Potter as he is the kind of man most boys would love to have as a father. Plus Harry Morgan is from Muskegon, MI.

Some of my favorite episodes are Adam's Ribs where Hawkeye orders ribs to be delivered from Chicago and the Long John Flap where the camp trades hawkeye's long johns to each other. Tuttle is a great episode as well. And of course who could forget the episode when Col. Blake dies.

What I like most about the show is how multilayered the show was. There was laughter, sadness, anger, romance, politics, competition, envy and friendships all wrapped together as one. That's hard to write and even harder to act and they nailed that balance very well. That's what makes MASH the best TV show of all time.

1 comment:

DAKOTARANGER said...

I always loved the way they treated Father Mulcay. He came up with some of the best one liners and unlike modern liberals they didn't disrespect the Clothe