Sunday, March 12, 2006

March Madness

Today is selection Sunday and one of my favorite days of the year. It's like a holiday. I love that we now have the internet because back in the 1980's I used to have to tape record CBS and then watch it over and over to write down all the brackets or wait until the next morning for the newspaper. Now I can go on-line and read about the macth up of every game. It's so cool.

I have been staying up late this week watching crappy games like Pacific vs Long Beach State trying to determine who my sleeper will be in this year's tournament. This year I like Nevada, San Diego St, UNC Wilmington and Wintrop as my uspet specials. Having said that they will probably all lose on day one.

What I love most about the brackets is that everyone plays, including people who are not big basketball fans. Every year I think I have an edge on those people but every year some 20 year old college girl who is an intern wins our office pool by choosing her favorite colors or something crazy. This year, I am going to go with my initial gut instincts when filling out my bracket instead of second guessing myself and overthinking every possible match up.

Thursday and Friday are the best two days in all sports because there are 16 games that start at noon and run until midnight. It's like binge drinking for basketball fans. It's fun to check the results throughout the day and compare my bracket to others. We will all huddle around the TV in our office to watch the last 2 minutes of an early round game because one of our final four team is down by 3 to some team we've never heard of and we are hoping our bracket is not completely screwed. I also love picking the right number 12 seed to upset a number 5 seed. It happens every year and sometimes I get it right and sometimes it bites me in the butt. I especially like to call my friends as soon as their final four pick loses so I can rub it in.

Without further ado, here are my top four seeds:

1 seeds Connecticut, Duke, Villanova, Memphis
2 seeds North Carolina, Texas, Gonzaga, Ohio St.
3 seeds Kansas, Illnois, UCLA, Pittsburgh
4 seeds LSU, Florida, Iowa, Boston College

One last thing; Michigan may or may not get in the tournament but regardless, they do not deserve a bid. They have played awful over the past month and will lose in the first round if they do happen to get in. I like Tommy Amaker as a person but it is time to make a change at coach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amaker should be fired. No heart, no fire, and most importantly, no offense.