Monday, March 27, 2006

A Great Sports Weekend

I love weekends where all I have to do is watch sports. Friday night I went to the Nuthouse which is local watering hole and watched a really good game between Villanova and Boston College. Then the next day, I went to my parents to do laundry and watch the basketball games on the big screen. I actually flipped back and forth between the LSU-Texas game and the Golf Players Championship. Both were highly entertaining. LSU has some unbelievable athletes and I love Big Baby Davis. Not only is he big and very quick for his size but he seems like a smart, funny guy in the interview. Could we have the next Charles Barkley?

As for the golf, I love the last two holes at Sawgrass. Hole #17 is an island green par three and 18 is the hardest par 4 on the PGA tour with water down the left hand side. This guy named Olberholser who I had never heard of before went to 17 with the lead but plunked his tee shot into the water and made a triple bogey. Then he hit his drive on 18 into the water and double bogeyed that hole. It was one of those times when I could totally relate to a professional athlete.

Then Sunday came and I watched little George Mason play Connecticut. I have to say I have not liked Connecticut all year because they play with no heart. Tons of talent but no heart. George Mason played the game of their lives including knocking down 6 straight three point shots to begin the second half. The game went down to the wire and when they let Connecticut tie game and send it to overtime I told my friend Jason that the Connecticut was going to win. But George Mason played great in overtime and held on to win. They now tie the 1986 LSU team as the lowest seeded team to advance to the final four. Since my bracket is now in shambles I am officially on the George Mason bandwagon. And on the subject of brackets, in my office pool with just under 200 people only one person has two final four teams and only 17 have one team left. What a crazy tournament.

To me there is no better time than March for sporting events. Basketball, Golf, the start of baseball season and even the NFL draft is just around the corner. For sports fans this past weekend is as good as it gets.

No comments: