Saturday, March 04, 2006

Buffalo Cheese


Every once in a while I learn something new at work. This week, we had a couple of constituents come to Lansing to explain a project they are working on in our district and to see if the state could provide any incentives. The project is to bring water buffalo to Newaygo County and process the milk from the buffalo into high quality cheeses. Supposedly there is a growing market for this type of product. I had no idea. In fact, I didn't even know you could milk a buffalo until they told me. They tell me this is very common in parts of Europe and Italians don't consider mozzarella cheese real unless it is made from Buffalo milk. I imagine somewhere in Italy some youngster is shocked to learn that milk can also come from cows. How funny, that we only know what we are familiar with.

No comments: