Friday, February 24, 2006

Proud to be American?

The Olympics have been a complete bust for America this year. I really don't care that we haven't won the most medals but what I do care about is how selfish and annoying our top athletes have been. Has there ever been a worse winner than that Shani Davis? Doesn't he realize that he could have been a marketing star for being the first black athlete to win a gold medal in the winter olympics? Instead he is a jerk in the interview after he wins the gold and before that he held out of the team competition which potentially cost the US a medal. Thankfully, because nobody cares about speedskating we can all forget about him at least until NBC reminds us of him again four years from now.

Then there is Lyndsey Jacobellis who was going to win the gold in snowboarding but decided to show off and ended up falling and only taking the silver. That event signifies the mentality of today's athlete perfectly. All flash and no substance. The worst part of her stupid stunt was that I was starting to enjoy the snowboard racing but she ruined it.

There is also Bode Miller who I thought was a good skier but apparently he sucks because he hasn't won a thing this year. I guess he should try skiing sober in the next olympics. Before the games started I had hoped to cheer against him everytime he raced but he lost so often that I stopped caring.

Finally, there is Mike Modano from that successful 1-4-1 hockey team. First he complained that he had to book his own flights and hotel rooms. Yeah, I can see how difficult that could be and how that might impact your performance. Then he calls out his coach for calling a timeout in the final game and says that he thought the team played pretty well. Apparently, they didn't play not well enough to win and this with a roster of professional NHL players. No wonder nobody watches the NHL. Then to top it all off he decides to skip the final team meeting and fly home. Good riddance.

Whatever happened to American heroes in the olympics? If this crop of losers is the best we have to offer, I am not proud to be American.

5 comments:

Jon said...

Dittos, Fetz. It seems hard to cheer for the USA olympic teams. I usually find myself rooting for the underdog countries.

The olympics, especially the winter olympics, are all about money. The teams/athletes with the most government or private $$$ for training and training facilities win the medals.

What's the deal with all this mogul , freestyle, snowboard stuff? They must be desperate for more winter events. The gold medal in the couples synchronized freestyle mogul snowboard short program goes to.....

DAKOTARANGER said...

Shoot Fetz I think you passed me as cynic of the week.

While I am embarrased by some of our winter atheletes. I am not really enbarrased by Shani Davis because the team really wasn't trying to include him until it meant it could be another medal for the speedskaters. His main problem is his mother, she makes the Williams Dad seam normal.

That chick really showed why I believe in running up the score. I don't believe in letting up until you win, if you destroy your competition because you are that good then great. She deserved not to place I was embarrased by her.

I really don't have to explain my thoughts on that alcki skier so I will just avoid it.

The Olympics this year is kinda like the Oscars. really bad coverage, nothing I care about, and stupid people.

I think we are seeing the results of the babyboomer generation of not pushing winning and then learning how to learn how to loose. When neither one of these concepts are learned you have NO sportsmanship.


But I am ALWAYS a proud American. No politician or athelete can ever change that.

Anonymous said...

Enough of these racist attacks on Shani Davis, already. What you are saying is that he should have jeopardized his own best event to help Chad Hedrick try to win a medal in the team event. Davis is black, so he should have sacrificed his own best interest for those of Hedrick and other white people on the team. (Who, BTW, have treated him badly for years.) No way! Davis did exactly what he should have done.

Do you enjoy being a bigot?

DAKOTARANGER said...

Actually, I'm a sexist but that's another story. That stupid bode miller missed a gate in his first run for the slalum. How can you practice for four years and in your sport miss a gate?

I think NBC must be trying to get out of their contract with the IOC

fetzer said...

June, Did you happen to notice that I called out four athletes and only one of them was black? I think you see racism where you want to see it regardless of the reality.