Friday, February 03, 2006

First Friday

Today I went to my first mass in a long time. My buddy Tom from work invited me and I decided it might be fun. I have been learning a lot about catholicism and wanted to experience a service firsthand. It was a little intimidating not knowing all the prayers and songs by memory but I still enjoyed it. It's a lot of rituals and tradition but those things are good if those practicing understand the meaning behind the practices.

Today they celebrated St. Blaise who was a bishop around 300 AD. He was healer of animals and healed a child. He later died a martyr. It was also first friday which is a tradition in the catholic church of taking mass the first friday of every month in remembrence of Christ's death on Good Friday. This is not a tradition we have in the protestant church but I think it's good to remember what Christ did for us once a month. I also like the idea of having mass at noon so you can go on your lunch break.

One thing I like most about being protestant, is the freedom to experience other styles of worship. God is so much larger than any particular brand or denomination of Christianity and each one plays a role in presenting the true picture of his fullness. Who knows, maybe I will go to mass on First Friday from now on.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Did you say a "Hail Mary" for the Steelers? They're going to need one.

DAKOTARANGER said...

Hey if you can get more meaning out of the service go for it.

Don't worry Im cheering for the Seahawks so your steelers should win