Monday, November 26, 2007

Oh No, Not Kirk Ferentz!

I just read from a reliable source that Michigan has offered the job to Kirk Ferentz of Iowa. This is the same source that broke Lloyd Carr's retirement so I have confidence it is not just a wild rumor.
Unfortunately, Bill Martin was honest when he said he wanted a clone of Lloyd Carr as Ferentz has the same stale, predictable football philosophy as Carr. Basically Ferentz is Carr but without the high winning percentage, big ten titles, national championship and strong recruiting skills. If you think Michigan football was stagnate with Carr, just wait til Ferentz accelerates the decline and turns Michigan football into Iowa East.

I really question why Michigan would make such a choice. I guess they think they are such a good program that they don't need a great coach and that they will win just because they are Michigan. Well look how that turned out for Nebraska. But maybe this signals that Michigan really isn't the dream job that every other coach wants. Maybe they already sent feelers out to other coaches and Ferentz is the best they could get. I really hope that's not the case.

Our only hope is that Ferentz turns down the job to stay in Iowa out of some sense of loyalty to his players. After all he has such great talent coming back next year, he wouldn't want to miss going 7-5 next season and playing in the Alamo Bowl.

3 comments:

kyperman said...

This sounds like a crazy rumor to me. I don't believe it. This would indeed be quite a dissapointment. But I am going out on a limb and saying your source is wrong.

Teacher Mom said...

I don't really follow college football that much (I follow the Colts though! I love Dungy), but I just wanted to say thanks for changing our link. ;o) What a friend!

Feltzy said...

The reason this rumor has any legs at all is because the current president at Michigan used to be at Iowa and so has ties to Ferentz. After living in Iowa, I wholeheartedly agree that he is not the best candidate for Michigan. Ferentz makes you think that every year there is a chance for greatness and then Iowa finishes in the middle of the pack. He is living off of the coattails of Hayden Fry at Iowa but wouldn't have that same protection at Michigan-Bad Choice! But Fetz=Who is your choice?!?