Friday, June 01, 2007

Love your neighbor

Jesus instructs us in several passages that we are to love our neighbor. I recently heard a sermon based on this teaching and I have a question; Who is my neighbor?

The main point of the sermon was that we are supposed to be more intentional in reaching out to our neighbors as in those who literally live next door. And it was implied that if we are not doing so that we are somehow missing the meaning on Jesus' teaching. Is that really what Jesus is saying? Maybe it is but I always took it more broadly.

I have lived in my house for two months now and have not met any of my neighbors. There are not many people out and about on my street although occasionally I waive to people on their way to the Frosty Corner for ice cream. A couple days ago, I did talk to a woman and her kids as they were working in their yards. But I don't know their names nor anything about them other than there is a for sale sign in their yard. Does that mean I am not loving my neighbors?

I do think we should reach out to those we come in contact with and we should be more proactive to make contacts instead of waiting for it to just happen. But frankly I have a lot of relationships in my life that I can't keep up with currently let alone if I have to take time and meet the people who live on my street. At what point does a person reach a relational tipping point? Contrary to what some might think I need a lot of alone time to recharge and home is where I get that rest.

Hopefully as the summer begins to unfold my neighbors will venture out of their houses more often and I can meet them. Until then I am not ready to make much of an investment.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

hey jeff,
i think you are on the right track, man. just be friendly, and wait for God's timing to develop relationships that might come your way. Or you could host some rockin' block parties...