Monday, May 28, 2007

Take me out to the ballgame

Last night I went to Comerica Park to catch the Tigers-Indians game. My good friends Don and Jennifer graciously invited me and we met another friend of ours named Curt who now lives in SE Michigan. It was the perfect weather, the perfect seats and the perfect company.

The four of us used to regularly spend time together. In fact, this group was my lifeblood for about a 2 year period. We became close during vacation bible school week at the church. Curt and I had foolishly volunteered to help without having a clue what to do with the young rascals. Don and Jennifer had us over each night to help us put a lesson plan together. Thus our group was formed.

Our friendship produced a lot of game nights, watching reality TV and tasty meals together. This was a good time in my life. Even though we all had different personalities and goals I appreciated these three because they understood me and I knew they enjoyed my company.

But alas things change. Jennifer went graduate school and took on a more time consuming job. Curt got married and moved away. Don and I still get together occasionally to golf or play risk but it's not as often as I wish. I don't go to church with them anymore so I don't have the regular contact.

That's what made last night so much fun. It was like a family reunion. We all picked up right where we left off. I like those familiar type of relationships. Yeah the game was entertaining but the real entertainment of the night was visiting with old friends.

2 comments:

Feltzy said...

I'm sorry that my Indians whipped the Tigers and put a sour note on your evening! =)

Anonymous said...

Awwww. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Or it could be the ballpark nachos still processing a week later. Great to see you again.