Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Remote

Last week I dropped the remote control to the TV and it broke. Little did I know the impact on my life of such an insignificant event. All week my roommate and I would grab the remote out of habit and start pushing buttons vainly hoping that it would spring back to life. Let's just say that its name is not Lazarus.

I didn't realize how much I depend on the remote to enjoy TV. Without it, I would stand over the TV scanning the channels and then sit down when something good came on. Only 5 minutes later, after I was comfortable, that show would end and some crappy show would come on in its place. But being lazy as I am, I wouldn't get back up to change the channel. I would instead reluctantly watch and vainly hope the next show on that station would be something worth watching. Getting up to change the channel would violate the basic premise of TV watching which is to relax and there nothing is relaxing about getting in and out of my couch. I mean If I wanted to get up and down several times in an hour, I would go to Catholic mass.

It was a long time ago, but I remember TV pre-remote control and it didn't seem that bad at the time. Of course you only had 3 or 4 channels to choose from. I thought I could endure not having a remote but I can't take it any longer. So today I bought a new remote to bring the joy of TV back into my life.

3 comments:

Jon said...

In the early 80's my family used to have one of those "wired" remotes with the long cable from the remote to the TV set. People were always tripping over the cord. We went through a bunch of those remotes because the cable would become loose or frayed and wouldn't work anymore. I still remember the sound and feel of that "click" every time I changed the channel with that old analog thing.

Teacher Mom said...

Hey, I still do only have 5 channels to flip through! But I'm lost without the remote because of the volume button! I need that one terribly.

Jeannie said...

ah, the remote memories...my grandparents had this huge piece of furniture with a TV in it and a remote that was about the size of a paperback novel. You could really hurt somebody if you threw it across the room. Not that I did that, or anything...