Saturday, June 02, 2007

eharmony

I have no love for eharmony. Ever since I wasted over an hour filling out their ridiculously long survey only to find out that nobody on their site was a match, I have held a certain justifiable bitterness towards them. In fact, when I see their commercials I usually curse under my breath and hurl objects at the TV to express my frustration.

Having said that, today I am writing in support of them. Apparently a disgruntled lesbian is suing eharmony because they do not provide services for gays and lesbians. She thinks this is discriminatory and violates California law. The lawsuit is on behalf of all gays and lesbians who have been discriminated against.

This lawsuit is so stupid and over the top that I hope most people see it for what it is: a publicity stunt designed to attack a Christian dating site and give Christians a bad name for discriminating against gays. The gay community has never approved of eharmony because of it's support among family value types like Focus on the Family. Forget that eharmony never says anything derogatory towards gays and lesbians on their site, the mere fact that they will not provide a service for them is enough for them to hate it.

This junk lawsuit is the equivalent of a vegetarian suing a steakhouse because they don't serve Tofu. Or better yet suing the Democratic party for not allowing Republicans to attend their national conventions. It makes no sense other than trying to make someone cater to the wants of something they disagree with. The last time I checked, such an obligation is not a legal right under the constitution.

Private companies should be allowed to choose what services they provide. This woman was not harmed or denied her right to date women by eharmony's policy. She could realistically visit well over 100 other dating sites to find a girlfriend. So why choose eharmony if she knew they don't match up Lesbians? The problem here is the entitlement mentality not just of gays and lesbians but of Americans in general. If she doesn't get what she wants when she wants it, then it must be somebody else's fault.

I didn't meet the love of my life on eharmony either. On top of that, I suffered extreme emotional distress worth at least a million dollars in pain and suffering. But I didn't sue them. Then again I am not some angry lesbian trying to make a political statement.

3 comments:

Teacher Mom said...

You go, Jeff! Well put. Your comparisons with the steakhouse and a vegetarian and the two political parties are great examples for people to think about.

DAKOTARANGER said...

May be you should write a letter and complain about how they couldn't help you. It would give them some leverage against this type of idiocy

Anonymous said...

It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.

I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions.
Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
I wish to read more things about it!

my homepage ... you are my sunshine ()