Monday, July 31, 2006

Quick little update

Wow it is hot outside. It's 8:30 at night and the temperature is still over 90 degrees. I usually prefer warm weather to cold weather but this is ridiculous. It's been especially tough as I go door to door for the campaign. On Saturday I think I lost 10 pounds just from pounding the pavement in this heat. We have another big day planned for Wednesday and I am hoping the temp cools off by then but I doubt it.

Last night we had church and I am really enjoying going to barefoot. I am even learning a few things. Mostly, that being part of a smaller body means there is a lot for each person to do. Not an overwhelming amount but if everyone's not involved not much would get done. I have been helping raise money for a concert we are promoting in August. The money goes to Blood:Water Mission which was started by Jars of Clay and they help build wells in Africa. It's a cool venture to contribute too. Here is their website. http://www.bloodwater.org/ This week I begin practicing with the worship band for our Saturday night services. I am eager to start singing again but I hope that I have enough time to commit in light of campaign season heating up.

We also talked last night about reaching out to the kids that live in one of the local apartment complexes. Apparently, they don't have a lot going on and the kids are looking for people to invest in them. Not sure just what the plan is yet but I like the fact that we are preparing to take on a need. Another avenue that we are pursuing is with the Lansing area aids network. Our pastor met with them last week and they are really excited about our church and want to work with us to reach out to the aids community. I was going to volunteer with them last year but could never worki it into my schedule so I am hoping that maybe I can do some work with them now through the church.

What I like most about my church is that the community is so young and they have great expectations and ideas. There are endless possibilities to serve people and even before we are officially launched there is an eagerness to see how our church fits in meeting those needs. The key will be focusing this energy and enthusiasm into the most effective venues.

One final thing, Derek Bethay just posted a link on his blog to an article about a preacher who is trying to keep the church above the political frey. It's a good read and I would suggest checking it out. Maybe when I get a little time, I will share my thoughts on what that pastor is doing. http://derekbethay.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Jon said...

Sounds like great ministry opportunities.

I read the article about the pastor's stance against politics. Interesting, but troubling. I'm glad that Christians are thinking through these issues because they are important. It sounds like this pastor fears that Christians will look to political/governemental solutions rather than the Gospel. I don't necessarily believe that it has to be an either or question. God is the solution to all our problems and He uses government to respond to some of the problems in our world.

I see you've based your quiz on these issues. I'm having trouble answering yes or no to your quiz.

Obviously the church should embrace the Word's agenda, not a political one. But Jesus addressed both the spiritual and political/cultural issues of the day. I recall Dr. Snyder reading from the Republican and Democratic party platforms. Those documents are very informative and they are almost light and darkness different. God ordained government and he says people must submit to their government. He also held people responsible for their governments.

No political party is perfect when compared to the wisdom of holy scripture. Some political parties certainly are more in line with scripture though; way more.

So to answer your quiz...Christians should support the policies (and those that make and implement policies) that best promote order and the restraint of sin (Bibical purposes of government) in the light of God's Word. Healthy discussion about the issues (political debate to some) is a great way for Christians to sharpen each other. Even though I have strong political beliefs, I'm the first to acknowledge that government can only do so much, yet God is the answer to all.

Sorry for another long, boring post.