Monday, July 10, 2006

The Fix Up

I mentioned in my previous post that my brother was trying to set me up with a lady friend of his. That raised the interest of a lot of people so I figured I would give an update.

First, let me preference by thanking Vince for introducing me to Kelly. It is hard to meet new people and having someone else looking for me is a help. Having said that, I have no idea why he thought we would be a good match. Sure, we are both attractive, single, thirtysomethings but once you get past that there wasn't much common ground.

We played cards for most the night and won quite a few times and while we played we chatted back and forth. And while, she was very nice, there just weren't any sparks on either side. We didn't really have much in common. Halfway through the night, she admitted that she knew nothing about politics so I admitted that I knew nothing about women. Seriously, I really don't care if someone "knows politics". But what I do care is that the person has an understanding and curiousity about the world around them and I didn't get that impression from her. In fact, after the first hour or so I came to the conclusion that the only reason I was still trying was because she had a killer body. If she didn't, I doubt I would have invested as much effort and interest as I did. Not that looks are everything to me but when you have no other connection the importance of physical attraction becomes magnified.

It's too bad that things didn't go any better. I actually had an open mind going into the evening despite all my previous bad experiences with fix ups. Preferrably I hope to just meet someone on my own and develop something that way but until that I happens I guess I'll wait until next time. Because sometimes even awkward set ups are better than doing nothing at all.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I do enjoy the personal life updates. So, would you date a woman who you knew disagreed with your politics? Now, that would be an interesting evening.

fetzer said...

funny you should ask that question because i am contemplating asking out a friend of mine who is a democrat. I am more worried about her turning me down than I am about her politics.