Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Just call me Mr. Computer

Last night, as I attempted to delete real player from my computer I accidentally deleted my audio device as well. I didn't even realize what I had done until I went to listen to a video clip and had no volume. When I tried to find the volume control on my toolbar and it was gone, it quickly donned on me that I had done something terribly stupid.

After a few minutes of yelling and cursing my bad luck and misjudgment, I decided I was going to fix this problem myself. If I could delete it, I could re-install it. It sounded so easy until I realized I wasn't even sure if had the disks to re-install and wasn't entirely sure what the device was called. After a couple hours I finally found the right program on Gateway's website and downloaded it. Thinking I was so smart I restarted my computer only to learn that the device wasn't downloaded properly and I still didn't have any sound.

I was so pissed that I had to give up working on the computer and took a break to watch TV for half an hour. After I calmed down, I tried downloading it again. Again and again it didn't work. Now I am feeling both agitated and embarrassed that I can't figure this simple process out. I feel like Einstein's definition of insanity as I try the exact same dumb thing several times and each time expecting it to work when it never did before.

Finally, I realize that the hardware I was downloading was not the right device for my computer. After another 15 minutes of searching gateway's website I eventually found the right device and got it loaded onto to my computer and I am proud to say that I have sound again. And as much as I was irritated, I was equally proud of myself for fixing the problem without having to call the geek squad and pay 50 bucks to some high school kid. I just hope that I don't have to fix anything else on my computer in the near future.

5 comments:

Matt and Heidi said...

you work for the government, don't you? Just wondering...;-)

Don said...

It's time - come to the dark side...

I be there waiting.

Teacher Mom said...

Congrats on the do-it-yourself fix, Jeff.
Hey, I have a blog now. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the success of your computer fixing!!! You have now not only dreamed the impossible dream but you have now acheived it too!

Hope all is well!

DAKOTARANGER said...

Shoot if I couldn't have fixed it Betsy would have had fun taking it apart. At least you fixed it without gun powder.