Friday, June 09, 2006

The World Cup

Today the World Cup starts and although I am no big fan of soccer I am strangely excited about it. Since I know as much about soccer as I do about dating, it's a little tricky for me to forecast who will win this year. The only player I've really heard of from Brazil and I don't even know how to spell his name. All I know is that he is very good.

What I like about the World Cup is that you don't have to know Soccer or even athletics in general to enjoy it. The event is more about national pride and bringing all these countries together to settle their differences on the field of play instead of through war and politics. It's like the olympics that way except that I get to actually watch the whole game live instead of spliced and tape delayed.

I have done some reading on all the teams and here are my predictions. Even though I am cheering for the USA I don't think they can win the whole thing and they may even have a hard time advancing out of their group. Brazil is the clear favorite but I don't think they will win it this year either. I am predicting a darkhorse. I have no idea why but I am picking Ivory Coast to win the world cup.

No comments: