Saturday, June 03, 2006

Chili Cook Off

Last night was a good night. Every year Lansing has a local chili cook off but I have never gone to it. Since it is so close to my house I decided to go this year and check it out. I had hoped to go with a couple of friends but they couldn't go and I considered not going by myself but then figured I wasn't going to let being alone stop me from enjoying the event.

On my way there my friend Sheree called me out of the blue and she asked if she could meet me at the cook off. I was thrilled to have her join me and we ended up meeting another couple that she knew from her church. Just as I was worried about going alone I am reminded that I do have friends here in Lansing.

Despite having to wait in long lines the event itself was pretty cool. It takes place along the riverwalk in downtown Lansing with about 40 or so restaurants that have booths set up with their chili. They also had concerts and mechanical bull ride as entertainment. At the end of the night they give awards for best chili and hottest chili. We had a good time although after eating 15 cups of chili they all start to taste a little similar.

It sounds kind of cliche but events like the chili cook off really do make Lansing feel more like a community. I am going to have to find out what other events are planned for rest of the summer.

2 comments:

Matt and Heidi said...

How about the event where you come to Chicago and play some golf?

fetzer said...

Matt, I'd love to play some golf in chicago. Maybe the change in scenery will help my game.