Monday, June 12, 2006

Big Ben

This morning I was struck with the tragic news that Ben Roethlisberger was in a motorcycle accident. When I read it off the newswire I was sick to my stomach as I realized that this great guy was seriously injured. I spent most of the day trying to find out just how bad the crash was. I guess he broke his jaw, his nose, had a 9 inch gash in his head and lost most of his teeth. He was in surgery the last time I heard.

It was strange to let an accident that happened to a person I have never met affect me. But when you cheer for someone and follow his career you build a bond with that player and I feel like I know him since he plays for my favorite team. Ben has been the savior for the Steelers. He was finally the next Terry Bradshaw that we had been searching for decades to find. He led us to the promised land and gave us one for the thumb. Now he lies in a hospital with serious wounds.

One of the sad parts of this story is that he wasn't wearing a motorcycle helmet. He had been warned by his coach and others that he should protect himself but he's young and felt like he was above those risks. I am just thankful that he survived the accident because often serious head trauma can occur on top on the other injuries he suffered. On a side note, Pennsylvania recently changed their law to allow people to ride bikes without helmets. I wonder how many Steeler fans now wish they hadn't changed that law? Michigan is currently considering that same change and it has passed both the House and the Senate. I hope the Governor sees this example and vetoes the bill. There is really no need to ride without a helmet.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Having had two childhood friends die in separate motorcycle friends, I'm thankful to hear that Ben was not killed.

I don't understand the desire to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but I respect the desire for freedom. We must remember, though, that freedom and responsibility are inseperable. If you want to ride without a helmet, fine. Just don't expect to be treated as an "accident" victim and don't ask insurance companies or your fellow taxpayers to pay your medical bills.

Fetz, maybe your boss should have attached an amendment to the Senate bill that forbids insurance companies and public health dollars from reimbursing those who crash while not wearing a helmet. That would preserve their freedom to be foolish and the rest of us from paying for it.

Yes, I hope Ben has a full and speedy recovery from his crash. And may he be a leading spokesman in the future for motorcycle safety.

Don said...

I'll chime in since I've been riding since I was 16, over half of my life...

It was a big deal when I wanted my first bike. An uncle had lost his leg in a motorcycle accident when he was 18, and by all accounts it was a devastating recovery. I will never forget when my Dad had him over for a small talk before getting my motorcycle endorsement. He didn't give me the "it could happen to you" speech that you would have imagined. He simply laid out the (very specific) details of what happened to him, but desired for me to make my own decision. To top off the conversation, he made some comment regarding motorcycle accidents and said "knock on wood" while tapping on his leg.

Needless to say, helmet laws are controversial with bikers, the stereotype of which continues to be the outlaw or society's fringe. "Ooh, he's a badboy because he rides a motorcycle." What a load of crap. Everyone from every station of life in all fields ride, yet many share the "freedom or death" ideals of biking. As such, any helmet legislation is considered an intrusion of personal freedoms and choice to many bikers.

Personally, I believe that we should not have any laws regarding helmets, safety restraints, airbags, minimum/maximum mph, etc. Life itself is risky behavior, and you have to understand and protect yourself from that which may harm you. The government is not responsible for protecting you from bad decisions.

That being said, regardless of any law I would never operate a motorcycle without a helmet nor would I ride in an automobile without a belt. This is simple physics; your head falls to the ground at 35mph, it breaks in half.

Sorry Fetz, but your savior is a moron.

kyperman said...

I was also shocked but not surpised. Sooner or later every rider gets into an accident, and usually it's someone elses fault.

But riding without a helmet is pretty dumb. Ben should know better, especially with so many people in the steeler nation counting on him. If I was a steeler fan I would MAD.

I want a motorcycle, and someday without or without my wifes blessing will get one....hows that for arrogance!! But it will ride with a helmet 100 percent of the time.

I am glad he is going to be ok...but hopefully he learns a lesson here.

Anonymous said...

i wish ben a speedy recover and hope for his and his family's sake that he had some kind of life / motorbike insurance!

Too many people run the risk of riding without motorbike insurance because simply put, it is becoming too expensive.

Get it Cheaper, Get it online (don't run the risk of high repair / medical costs)