Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Sony Open

One of my favorite sporting events of the year is the Sony open in Hawaii. There is something about watching others play golf in a tropical paradise while there is 2 feet of snow outside. Watching the tournament usually induces me to send my resume to the Hawaii legislature only to be routinely rejected and sentenced to another 4 months of Michigan winter.

I started watching this tournament only two years ago when Michelle Wie first played and just missed the cut as a 14 year old amateur. It was truly an amazing performance and I have been a big fan of her ever since. To be honest, this event would not even be on my radar screen had it not been for Wie playing in the tournament. And while some men might not like the fact that she gets special exemptions to play and a lot of publicity despite never winning a tournament, she is a marketing machine. Her mere appearance has transformed the Sony Open from a lower tier tournament into a special event. A lot of viewers will tune in this weekend just to watch her. If she doesn't make the cut I would expect the weekend TV numbers to drop precipitously.

Hopefully this is the year she can put two solid rounds together and make the cut. Wie's golf coach says she is playing a lot better this year and likes her chances but generally that's what coaches tell the media. If she does make the cut she will be the first woman to do that on the Men's tour since Babe Zaharias did it in 1945. Even my favorite Swede Anika couldn't do it a few years ago. I just checked the leaderboard and she is already off to a rough start at +3. Regardless, I am still pulling for her this week.

2 comments:

Feltzy said...

Who writes about golf?!? Please tell me that you are not preparing for early senility!!!!

DAKOTARANGER said...

I think it's time we get him a rocking chair Feltzy