Monday, January 16, 2006

Denver here we come


What a great game yesterday. I was an emotional roller coaster. Giddy one moment and nauseous the next. It kind of reminded me of the jets game last year except we actually deserved to win this one.

I went into the game without much optimism. I thought we had to play things close to the vest and then try to make a play to win the game late. Good thing I am not the coach because they did the exact opposite. Pass early and run late. And it worked almost to perfection. Big Ben looked great and I loved how aggressive our defense was. Those two late sacks were a thing of beauty and should have sealed the game. And for all those who think the Steelers should have simply kneeled the ball three times instead of handing it to the bus, they're are full of crap. Indy had all three timeouts left so they could have gotten the ball back with around a minute left and down by less than a touchdown. Going for the win was definitely the right call especially considering that the Bus hadn't fumbled since 2003.

I watched the press conferences after the game and my opinion of Tony Dungy was reaffirmed. He is a class act and I hope that he does win the Superbowl some day. I can't say the same for Peyton Manning. He was blaming his offensive line after the game. Try taking some responsibility for yourself. The Steelers outsmarted Manning and he was confused most of the game.

One final thing on the refs. I usually don't criticize them because it is one of the most difficult jobs but overturning Polamalu's interception was a joke. If that's what replay is for then we need to get rid of it. There were other questionable calls but that particular one was the worst I've seen this year.

Now we are on to Denver who was the beneficiary of poor refereeing in their own game. Jake Plummer doesn't really scare me and I like that we are on the road instead of at home. Could this really be the year that the Steelers get to the Superbowl? Only one more week and we will find out.

9 comments:

kyperman said...

I wish I could be happy for you..in fact I will try, however..I thought that call on the interception was a pretty good call. I was actually rooting for the colts...but deep down, I am now pulling for the Seahawks....

Matt and Heidi said...

I'm happy for you, Fetz. Since there really isn't a team that I'm pulling for, I'll probably jump on the Steelers bandwagon for the next few weeks. Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well for you...

- Pats lose to Denver
- Indy loses to Pitt
- Bears loose to Carolina

those were my three "heart" picks this year...flush!

Anyway...enjoy it like it was the '70s!

Anonymous said...

to bad pitt has to lose to denver...what a heartbreak for you man big ben...he's gonna get his butt kicked in two straight AFC Championships...haha, call me...

Feltzy said...

I really hope that the Steelers do win so that I can actually CARE about this year's SuperBowl. I will probably end up rooting for whoever wins the NFC. At least it's now New England in the SuperBowl for yet another year=Just think, actually something NEW to talk and care about during this year's game-Can the wheels on the Bus keep going round and round to carry his team to the Lombardi?!? OR...can Plummer still be 'Mistake-Free' Jake or will the Broncos be 'Snake-Bit' in Detroit? (Who knew that snakes could survive in the cold?

OR

Will Seattle and Shaun Alexander FINALLY get some respect from the media now that they have made the big game OR with Delhomme and company get a chance to get that bitter taste of the loss to the Patriots out of their mouth and win the Superbowl?

ALL of these things I could stand to hear about ABOVE listening to how great New England is and how much of a dynasty they are. Enough is enough.

Derek said...

I'm still sick to my stomach... IDIOT KICKER! The ONLY redeeming aspect of the Steelers beating the Colts is that Jerome Bettis is a Golden Domer!

Jon said...

Jeff, I'm in agreement with most of your thoughts here. Dungy is a class-act, handing off to Bettis at the 3yrd line was a great call, Polamalu did intercept it, and Manning and the Colts' O got beat by the Stellar Steeler D plain and simple.

Bettis was running straight up and down, trying to spin and get the TD rather than lowering his shoulders and taking just one or two yards. That was boneheaded! They didn't need all 3 yards in one play! A huge mistake for Bettis, but I'm glad the inept Colts let him off the hook.

They had a great D, but the Bears were overrated and took advantage of a pathetic division.

Dungy should've let the Colts lose a game early in the season and avoid the burnout that comes from chasing the dream of a perfect season. (Remember I told you it was good when the Steelers lost early on) Just desserts for Vanderjagt and his arrogance.

I started the playoffs hoping for Steelers vs. Seahawks in the SB, glad to see both still alive.

DAKOTARANGER said...

I'm with your nephew. Go Broncos.

David Drury said...

no comment

Anonymous said...

I was four for four on my picks last weekend and prognosticated that the Colts, who were rusty at best, would have the difficult time they did against the peaking Steelers. I was shocked to hear all the people who thought the regular season game revealed anything as Ben was horrible coming off a four game injury break.

Seeing that I live in Indy (and have friends who have been in a fog this week because of the loss) I am not commenting one way or the other on who I was cheering for...and it would have been cool to have the home team in the big game...but I will say that if Indy came back at the end it would have been a horrific turn of events based on the one big no call and one gigantic overturned call (that were both obviously wrong). Don't get me wrong...when my favorite teams are in the thick of it there are times when I would rather have an illegitimate W than a L...but the "IDIOT KICKER" would have had no chance to tie the game if things were called as they obviously were!

I got your back Vandy!

Go Canada!

robpaterson@comcast.net