Saturday, January 07, 2006

Are you ready for some football


I am getting excited about the NFL playoffs that start this afternoon. After a long season of inujuries and ups and downs for the Steelers, they head into Cincinatti with alot of momentum. Incredibly they are actually a road favorite and every commentator is picking them to win. I hope they are right but these are the same people who thought Notre Dame and USC were going to win last week. Sometimes when everybody is on the bandwagon I get nervous. I just hope the Steelers get out to an early lead and avoid turnovers. If they can do that then we have a very good shot of giving Bill Cowher is first road playoff win. Then all we have to do is win at the Colts next week. Even my lucky Big Ben jersey might not be powerful enough for that to happen. And honestly if my Steelers don't win the Superbowl I am pulling for the Colts. Is there a better witness for Christ lately than Tony Dungy? My guess is that most people will be cheering for him.

Shifting Gears to college football, I really enjoyed the Rose Bowl the other night. Finally a championship game lived up to the hype. And yes Vince Young was fantastic but it was about the same performance he had against Michigan in last year's Rose Bowl. If anybody watched Texas football he was that good all year long so I am not sure why people's opinion of him has changed all the sudden. Now he should be the #1 player in the draft? What ever happened to Reggie Bush being the all time greatest player. Personally I would rather have Leinart as my QB in the NFL but Young is good. Real good.

One final thing. Texas's win wednesday night gave them the most wins in college football over the past five years so they are no one year wonder. Here are the top 10 records over that time:
Texas 56-8
Oklahoma 55-11
USC 54-10
Miami 53-9
Boise St 53-11
Georgia 52-12
LSU 51-14
Ohio St 50-13
Louisville 47-16
Va. Tech 47-16

To all my fellow Michigan fans please note that we are not on this list. Michigan is close at 44-20 which is not bad but they should be a top 10 program and quite simply they are not. I hear Lloyd Carr is shaking up his coaching staff but maybe he needs to look in the mirror.

6 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Go Broncos. Go Bucs beat The skins

Derek said...

GO COLTS! GO COLTS! GO COLTS!

Matt and Heidi said...

They pulled it off...didn't think they would. I don't suppose next week will matter since the Pats will beat either Pitt or Indy...

David Drury said...

Well, your Steelers looked pretty good after the first quarter (although I bet your terrible towel wasn't spinning when John Kitna was looking like a pro-bowler in the first quarter).

:-)

And glad to see you'll be pulling for the Colts after the Steelers lose next Sunday!

DD

Jon said...

Nice to see the Steelers win. Too bad they had to take out the other team's QB to do it.

Heidi said...

Ah, my boys, love my Pats. (Loved 'em when they were ugly too- mid 90's.) Just for good measure, I'm serving Libby her milk using our Patriots baby bottle, and the water is in the Pats sippy cup.