Monday, September 15, 2008

Politcal Love

I am amazed at the amount of buzz and attention Sarah Palin continues to receive from both Republicans and Democrats alike. A month ago, she was not on the national radar screen and probably had 3 percent name ID nationally. Now she is either the savior of the Republican Party or an apostate to woman depending on which side of the ideological fence you sit on.

While I admit that I was excited when she was picked and believe her to be a good political choice, the amount of fervor for her among conservatives has me a little worried. Yes she gave a great convention speech and yes I agree with her on many issues but the public still doesn't know much about her. There are some inconsistencies being raised between her statements and her record on both earmarks and her management of Alaska. Her interview with ABC revealed her to have a somewhat shallow knowledge of foreign affairs. Last of all, she lacks the normal experience to be president but isn't willing to even partially admit it. While none of these things are deal breakers or reasons on their own to not support her, it is odd to see every conservative basically ignore these issues completely and get downright offended if someone brings them up.

This situation reminds me of going on a first date with someone. The date goes great and you fall in love at first sight. You share a romantic first kiss and you decide that night that they are the one for you. However, a week later you begin to see that they are not quite as perfect as you thought. They don't always smell as good as that first date. They may have embellished themselves to impress you and they certainly didn't tell you everything about their history and their dysfunctional family. Before you know it your friends and family begin to raise a few concerns about your new relationship.

But instead of seeing the person for who they really are and listening to others, you have already made up your mind and are committed to that idealistic person you met on the first date. I fear this true of my conservative friends with Palin. They were so desperate to fall in love with a true conservative and now they have finally found her. The convention speech was that first kiss and it was a good one. But their infatuation is causing them to close their eyes and avoid seeing any of her flaws. And like teenagers in love, the more anybody objects the more they cling to their relationship.

This is not just a Republican thing as this is exactly how the Obama supporters felt at first sight. Now look at what's happening to them as their romantic feelings are beginning to wear off. They are just now seeing what the rest of us saw several months ago: A deeply flawed candidate who can't possibly meet the lofty expectations place upon him. Do conservatives want to have that same feeling about Palin 9 months from now?

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hittin' the nail on the head, man. I was intrigued by the thoughts of this pastor out of Texas - Voddie Bauchman, I think is his name. Go to YouTube and check him out on CNN - very thought-provoking...

DAKOTARANGER said...

While I maybe going overboard because the Republican party for the LAST TWO YEARS have told conservatives to shut up and just walk lock step... including you Fetz. Shoot you essentially spiked the ball when you decreed conservatism was dead.

Part of the issue you and possibly other moderates are having is the mantra of the center is the same as the left, 'well let's not get them mad because then they will treat us nice in power.' The thing is the far left not only loathes anyone that totally agrees with them (ie Senator Lieberman) the HATE us more than I hate les lemm, which you know good and well is no easy feat.

I wonder if part of your issue isn' the fact you have worked and are friends with a bunch liberals where conservatives bend over backwards because we think we have to prove we are good people (which I find amazing considering 'bitter' Americans that make only 1/16th of what Senator biden makes actually donate more to charities).

As far as the thought she should have asked time for prayer or consult her husband. Evidently, contrary to what keith oberman thinks, the process has been going on since Senator McCain had the nomination. More than enough time to pray or consult on the decision.

As far as she being harsh, daughter being slammed, condensended from EVERY DANG cityslicker that has TV show, newspaper article, or basement and with Charlie Gibson's interview was a little hostile she had her back up. The thing I kept hearing from people like andrea mitchel were things like How could she be chosen I've never met her and she's from Alaska. Again I think you've just tried to hard to show liberals you are a good person.

You maybe right there maybe issues I'll regret like I do with President Bush, but the thing is everything I read, everything I've seen, every slam only shows me she is who she thinks she is.

And no, I don't think she is overly qualified, but she sure is better than Governor huckabee. I'd sooner trust someone that understands the oilfield and has put the oil companies in a headlock and got Canada to agree to a pipeline to go through their country to the lower 48 than someone that would steal justice away from their state. and I don' think Senator McCain is qualified. As far as I'm concerned he achieved that when he decided he wanted to violate the 1st Amendment with McCain-feingold.

If she really was horrible as you worry all the media would have to do is say she's the best thing since slice bread and she would be gone like hariet myers.

DAKOTARANGER said...

Somehow I missed your last line about how us conservatives will feel about her in 9 months...Fetz, we talked about her in the context of her being a potiential VP last February.

I still don't see what you mean about her being full of herself, it looks more like she has her back up because of the attacks to me, but I'm just a hick what do I know...oh yeah other hicks.

DAKOTARANGER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DAKOTARANGER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.