Friday, September 05, 2008

McCain's speech

Ugh! As much as I thought Palin hit a home run on Wednesday, McCain looked liked an aging Gary sheffield who can't get around on a fastball anymore. He had plenty of opportunity to build on the momentum but instead ended the convention with a big thud. I realize that rhetoric is not his specialty but he was even worse than I expected. Frankly the biggest complaint I have about Bush is how poorly he speaks in public. Now I am a little scared that McCain may not be much of an improvement.

My partisan friends all thought he did well but any unbiased person cannot be inspired by the flat delivery and meandering nature of the speech. The problem McCain has is that the most important issue facing the voters is the economy and he really has no plan to reform it. The portion of the speech last night dedicated to the economy was weak, boring and half hearted. There were no innovative ideas, no emotion and no connection to the working class.

It will be interesting to see where the polls go after the conventions. Will McCain get a bounce based on the enthusiasm for Palin or will they stay virtually tied? All things considered, being tied at this time of year is not that bad for Republicans but with a good speech last night McCain could have opened up a lead.

2 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

I didn't watch Senator McCain's speech, but my 'uneducated' sister with a Masters in SocialWork said it was pretty good as far as content goes.

I also have to admit a flip flop on my part...since Senator McCain has nominated a real conservative, let alone a hick, I can vote for the ticket. But I'm still not happy about him violating the 1st Amendment back in the 90's

kyperman said...

I think that you are being too hard on him, it was not that bad, especially the end when he got personal...Julie did however sleep through the whole thing..hmmmm