Monday, September 10, 2007

Deja vu

I just watched Deja vu last night. It stars Denzel Washington as a federal agent attempting to solve a terrorist attack on a ferry. During his investigation, he falls in love with a murdered victim and then goes back in time to try and save her so they can fall in love. It was a ridiculous plot but I was willing to suspend belief for the sake of entertainment. But at the end, when he has only 2 hours to save the ferry and he doesn't call the police because he wants to do it himself so he both catch the bomber and disable the bomb, I began to lose interest. Why do Hollywood movies treat their audiences like idiots? At least pretend to respect our intelligence.

As I was complaining about the ending, my roommate told me to not be so critical and enjoy the movie. I realize I am critical, especially when it comes to movies, but I simply cannot enjoy a movie that has no connection to reality. Being subjected to impossible and stupid story lines does not entertain me. Instead they just frustrate me and I think "Is this really the best that Hollywood can come up?". I mean they spend millions of dollars making these movies and they can't even write a coherent script.

Deja Vu did contain some elements of two much better movies. The concept of going back in time and retelling certain scenes comes from a really cool movie called Memento. And the idea of a cop falling in love with a dead victim came from a 1940's movie called Laura which is actually one of my favorites. Instead of renting Deja Vu I would encourage people to rent either of those movies. They treat the audience to well thought and well written stories instead of the drivel that's usually for rent at the video store.

3 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Just to throw some wood on the fire. Steven Segal was complainig that the FBI was sabotaging his career because of some anti-American movie. Not that his acting skills are non-existent and plots stink worse Detroit after a downpoor.

IF the FBI actually did subvert his career, I think the FBI would deserve all sorts of recognition from preventing any further movie bombs.

Tameshia said...

It's not just movies you are critical about; but, that isn't the topic of this blog... ;o)

Deja Vu is on my Blockbuster que, but I keep moving it down the list for other things I want to see. From the preview it did seem to have a Memento feel - which is definitely a tough act to follow!

Jeannie said...

ha ha -- this was funny. i only watched this movie to see jim caveziel (however you spell it) cause he's one of my favorites. he played a nice little twisted character.