Saturday, May 05, 2007

feliz cinco de mayo

Today is a fantastic day for sports fans. Later tonight is the 133rd Kentucky Derby. I love the Derby and it might be the most exciting two minutes in sports. I haven't decided who I like to win just yet but I am leaning towards Curlin even though he won't offer much of a payout as he is the likely favorite. Curlin has an impressive if short resume and could be this year's Barbaro. My other horse to watch is Any Given Saturday as long as the pace isn't too fast at the start.

Then at 7 tonight the Bulls and Pistons finally start their series. It seems like it's been a month since they each finished their last game. This rivalry reminds me of the good old days when Dumars would shut down Jordan and show him just who was boss in the Eastern Conference. I expect this to be a competitive series this year but the Pistons will win. The Bulls rely too much on the Jump shot and they don't have the athletic advantage over the Pistons that they did have against the Heat.

The final and maybe best event is the Mayweather-DeLaHoya boxing match. It could be a classic and some are billing it as the match that could save boxing. Mayweather is a flat out stud and the Golden Boy is the most over hyped athlete since Michael Jordan. I expect Mayweather to win a decision only because I don't know if he has enough power to knock him out at this weight. Regardless it should be super fight. I just wish it was on regular TV. Instead I have to find a sports bar that's showing the fight. Pay per view killed boxing. I hope the NFL doesn't go down the same road but I fear they are.

Enjoy the sporting festivities. I know I will.

1 comment:

Feltzy said...

How many titles did Dumars win? How many titles did Jordan win?

Dumars has got NOTHIN' on Jordan!

As a side note, especially since I live down here in Texas, it would be really nice if the Houston Rockets and their fans would show some class and send a nice Thank You note to Michael Jordan for going to play baseball (if you could call it that) so that the Rockets could win a couple of titles. Because if Jordan had stayed, the Bulls would have won 8 straight! If you don't believe that Jordan was that big of a killer, just ask Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley or Stockton & Malone.