Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm Back

I just got back and had a great time on my trip. I spent a couple days in Las Vegas which was fun but different from my last trip in that I was with my family this time. I tried my hand at another poker tournament and did awful and so I am re-evaluating my dream of becoming a professional poker player. One thing that I got to do this time that I didn't do last time was visit the stratopshere. The view from up top is fantastic and especially at night with the lights and all. For some reason four of us decided to risk our lives by riding the ride at the top of the tower. The ride's name is insanity and it lived up to it's billing as it spun us around as we dangled parallel 900 Ft above the city. Thankfully we all survived. Looking back it was a rush but not something I would do again.

Better than Las Vegas was Lake Mead. The view from Lake Mead was more beautiful than I anticipated. We took our houseboat toward the grand canyon and made it as far as we could before the water became too shallow. And while the water was freezing cold, the weather was sunny and warm. Each night we would find a cove to dock the boat. We would hike up the mountains and then have a campfire or watch the stars. The best part of the trip was that there were no other people around. It was just us and nature which was very cool. Our last night on the lake we stopped at a place called Mushroom Rock and hiked about two thirds of the way but stopped before darkness fell. As we were dangling our feet over the edge and gazing out over the cliffs, I told my sister in law that the scenery demanded to be captured by a poem. She held me to this task and I will post my poem in a few minutes.

It is good to be home but I could go easily go back. There is something soothing about the mountains and the water and the warm desert air. At least spring is coming this way shortly.

1 comment:

kyperman said...

I agree Jeff, there is no place I would rather be than the Arizona desert....it just gets to you, it's almost as if it becomes a part of you. I hope to relocate there some day, (thst is unless it becomes part of Mexico, literally or figuratively).

I can't explain just how much the desert feels like home to me..everything about it...glad you are back and glad you got a taste of desert life.