Saturday, April 29, 2006

NFL Draft

I love the NFL draft and am very excited about this weekend. I have been studying all the different mock drafts and athlete bios for the past several months trying to prepare for the draft. It used to be only Mel Kiper but today there are whole websites dedicated to the draft almost all year round. The past two years I haven't been able to watch the draft because I had a wedding one year and then my nieces birthday last year. Finally I get a free weekend to sit back and enjoy the draft.

The other thing about the draft is that the day is full of hope for every team. We all think if we can only draft such and such a player that our team's fortunes will turn around. Just ask Detroit Lions fans because every year they think they have a great draft and every year the reality on the field does not match the expectations. But at least the Lions have that one hopeful day each April. But sometimes the draft can change a franchise. Two years ago magic happened when Ben Roethlisburger fell into the Steelers lap at pick number 11. Finally Pittsburgh has a quarterback and as expected he did lead us to the wonderland and gave us one for the thumb. Who will be this year's Big Ben? My guess is that AJ Hawk on defense and Reggie Bush on offense will have the most impact on their new teams.

On the flip side who will be this year's Tony Mandarich. For those that don't remember he is the fat excuse for a lineman that the Packers took ahead of Barry Sanders. Nobody wants to be that team having to explain their malfeasance to their fans. This year it looks like that team is Houston for choosing Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. I have no idea what they are thinking. They took a guy who had an okay season but wasn't even the defensive player of the year in his conference over the best player in all football last year. I am sure that Williams has that dreaded thing called potential but why not choose a sure thing in Bush. Mark my words that Houston's general manager will be fired by next year because of this stupid choice.

By taking Williams last night, now all the mock drafts on line are worthless and the draft hasn't even started yet. I also heard several people on TV speculating on trades but it seems like every year the trade talk is mostly hype. I would guess there is less than 3 trades in the first round today.

Here is my wishlist for the Steelers. I am praying that LenDale White falls to them at 32. People are down on him because of his attitude and injuries but whenever I watched him play last year he looked great. He led the nation in touchdowns while sharing the backfield with Bush. I am also hoping that Donte Whitner or Darnell Bing falls to Pitt in the second round because they need help at Saftey.

One final thing, what I don't like about the draft is how overhyped some of the players become. If I hear one more time how Jay Cutler is better than Vince Young or Matt Leinart I am going to scream. How good could Cutler be? Granted I didn't watch him play one down last year but then again neither did all the experts who are hyping him. Production in college counts for something. In fact it is much more important than how tall or how fast the guys are.

I will come back Monday with my draft grades. Until then sit back and cheer on your team's selections.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Leinart goes to the Cardinals with the 10th pick? That is the steal of the draft. If there ever was a QB ready to make an impact as a rookie-it's Leinart. He's got very good receivers in Arizona too. I can't believe teams passed him by.

Young is another Vick; all legs, no arm, and no brains. Young will struggle learning a new offensive scheme and reading NFL defenses.

Bush is great too, but now has his work cut out for him playing for the woeful Saints.

How about the Jets picking up 2 excellent Offensive linemen in the 1st round? Reminds me of Seattle's draft of a few years ago.