Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Missed opportunities

Last night my friend Jason, my nephew David and I all went out to Champs to watch the basketball game. What looked like a blowout turned out being a very close game and we had a good time cheering on both teams. Maybe the best part of the night was our waitress, a very cute, friendly brunette named Natalie. Now I never can tell when a waitress is flirting because they like me or if they simply want a good tip but it seemed like there was a connection between us. But instead of asking for her number I left a big tip and walked away. This is becoming an increasingly familiar pattern in my life of missing potential opportunities with women.

Last summer I met an amazing woman on a flight from Chicago. We talked the whole way, had lots in common. I am sure she was interested in me but I chickened out at the last minute and didn't ask for her number and now have no way to contact her. I regret it to this day. Then last Fall I was afraid of committing to a good friend of mine. We had been "hanging out" all year and she was really cool, smart and attractive but every time she would try to move things along romantically, I would get cold feet and pull away. Now I regret that I didn't give that relationship a chance.

Last night, Jason and I were talking and both complaining about not dating. The problem is we have been having this same talk for ten years. I fear it will be the exact same talk another ten years from now. When I was younger, I was okay with being free and having no commitments. I had plenty of time to find Ms. Right and I could pretend that when I was thirty I would settle down and find someone. Now it is not so fun. I fear that I am living a life of regret because of my fear of rejection and commitment. What if I have already walked away from my perfect woman because I was too scared to pursue her? What am I waiting for? How do I break this pattern? They say insanity is doing something over and over again even though it doesn't work. I think I am going crazy.

8 comments:

kyperman said...

There will come a time when you meet someone and the fear of not seeing this person again will outway the fear of commitment, when that happens, you will know that you have met the right person. In other words, the thought of letting her get away will be too much to bear, you won't have a fear of commitment, but a fear of loss. I truly believe you just have not met the right person yet....but you can't be afraid to get a phone number...that is not in any way signaling a commitment.

kyperman said...

Sorry, I don't know what happened here....can you delete the duplicate posts?

IndyMom said...

Maybe you should go back to Champs, or search for the amazing airplane woman, or try "hanging out" with your good friend again.
Hey and even if you get rejected if you leave it open she might change her mind. I told Kevin I didn't want to date and then later changed my mind.
I'm not sure that I agree with Kyperman about one fear outweighing the other. Real love is a decision a choice - not just a feeling. Keep praying - God has good things planned for you.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lansing/mom. If you don't allow yourself to open up enough you can't possibly get to the point were one fear out weighs the other. To find love you have to take chances, and that chance includes the possibility of rejection. I have to say that being rejected a thousand times is worth it when you find that one person that will love you for the rest of your life regardless. Don't forget, there's always second chances...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, I still think your hot! But I guess it's because of your hairline. :-)

I know that this is something I've heard you say before, but when you're down...it's good to be reminded. It's better to be single than to have rushed into a marriage with someone whom you don't respect and connect with spiritually.

Joel

DAKOTARANGER said...

Well Fetz you could get a mail order bride

Jon said...

A perfect woman? They're about as common as....a perfect man. Speaking of missed opportunities, I'm afraid MarianoRivera is blowing too many save opportunities against the Botox.

PajamaGirl said...

Hey Fetzer.

Before you make the commitment, listen to your intuition.

After you make the commitment, BROOK NO OBSTACLE. Do not let anything, even yourself, get in the way. Love her.