Friday, January 04, 2008

Big wins for Obama and Huckabee

Well my predictions were not too far off except I underestimated my man Huckabee or more likely overestimated Romney's vaunted organization. I guess it goes to show you that even the best campaign strategy and execution can't overcompensate a weak candidate. It is surprising though how well Huckabee did without a lot of paid staffers on the ground in Iowa and with the barage of negative ads run against him. Chalk it up to the power of personality.

Romney is finished. He may hang around for a while but McCain will win New Hamsphire and probably Michigan and Huckabee will win South Carolina. I am surprised Thompson hasn't dropped out already but he will shortly and most likely throw his support behind McCain. The wildcard is Giuliani. He needs to keep relevant and hold on until Florida and then pull off the upset over Huckabee. That would set him up for Feb 5th but I don't think he can do it. I suspect the race is down to Huckabee and McCain and that the establishment that fled McCain this summer will rally around him to stop Huckabee.

Obama's win is even bigger than Huckabee's. Does anybody else find it odd that a black man won in Iowa where there are like maybe a dozen black voters? I still think he'll face racism along the campaign trail but last night should help alleviate at least some of those fears. Edwards is finished and would do best if he quickly dropped out and then cut a deal with Obama to be VP again. I don't think he'll do it but he has no shot at winning. Hillary could still make a comeback but to do so is going to be very ugly. Obama is going to feel the full force of the Clinton hit machine over the next couple weeks. There is still a lot we don't know about Obama but we will most certainly find out soon.

3 comments:

Jon said...

How did the Steelers make the playoffs?
They didn't look very good from what I saw of them this season.

I sure hope someone figures out how get Iowa and NH out of their roles of King makers next time around. How about Hawaii going first in 2012? Nobody ever campaigns there and they are always last in line it seems. Or how about American Samoa or maybe members of the US military going first?

And please, no Presidential voting until at least April. I'm tired of the campaigning already and I even like politics.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Feltzy said...

Jon=YOU"RE tired of politics? I spent my Christmas vacation in IOWA!!! How sick of polictics do you think I am? And Fetz-If you would ever come to Iowa again, and not be haunted my Crystal Bailey, you would know that there are tons of black voters in Waterloo, Iowa City, and even Des Moines.