Thursday, December 06, 2007

Ramblings on the Trinity

I am taking a class on the Trinity taught by a professor at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. It's interesting to participate in a thoughtful academic discussion and reminds me of my time in college. One thing that was mentioned last night was that creative theology is most likely in error if it strays from the traditional orthodox teaching of the church.

I agree, but then we got into a tangential discussion as to which traditional teachings are sacrosanct and which ones have more room for discussion and interpretation. Obviously, since the class is on the Trinity, it makes sense that understanding and accepting this teaching is essential to being a Christian. But my experience growing up in the church makes me question if we as the church really believe this. Most Christians will say they believe in the trinity but ask many of them to explain it or defend this belief and they have few good answers. (Evangelicals included) So if the trinity is truly an essential part of our faith, why is there such a dearth of understanding it.

I know that I have been taught the doctrine of the Trinity since I was in junior high, but I have many questions such as why we refer to two thirds of the trinity in masculine human terms but the third is spiritual. Also, if all three are equal why choose to explain their relationship in terms of father and son which suggests a hierarchy. And doesn't a father exist before a son yet we are taught that they both always existed.

These questions don't even begin to address the historical development of the doctrine which didn't formally exist until three hundred years after Jesus death. Why do we trust that the church leaders who determined this doctrine are in fact correct? Many protestants will reject other historical teachings of the church but they accept this one. Why? For instance we reject the idea that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ during Communion and yet this was an essential teaching of the church for over a thousand years and still practiced today by catholics.

Finally what about the application and treatment of each part of the trinity within the church today? For instance, the holy spirit is all but ignored in many churches as we focus on our relationship with Jesus. Other churches focus almost exclusively on being baptized in the holy spirit and question others faith if they haven't been. If the doctrine of the trinity is essential to our faith how come we don't exercise its practice consistently? And what would that consistent practice and teaching look like?

I realize that you could probably apply this same question to other "essentials" of the Christian faith. But since I am taking this class on the trinity, I figured I would focus on that doctrine. And before I get deluged with comments, I want to state that I do believe in the Trinity and will defend it to the best of my ability. But these are legitimate questions that I have, and if I have them, then my guess is that many others share the same questions.

4 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

As far as refering to the Holy Ghost as a Spirit I think it partly comes from the Day of Pentacost and the Conforter. Also, Gen 1:2 mentions the Spirit of God hovering over the waters.

Gen 1:26 is an interesting verse because it does introduce the multifaceted Godhead with the Words "Let Us create man in our image." (granted in orginal Hebrew it maybe different.)

With Christ saying anyone that sees me sees the Father establishes the link between Christ and God the Father.
And since the Pharasees saw Christ saying He was the Son of God put Christ on the same level as the Father.

There is a Jewish tradition that I have always explained the Trinity pretty well. Say you have three drops of water. You put one drop in your hand, then you the other two drops on the drop of water do you have one or three drops? Logically speaking, you have both.

Jon said...

A cord of 3 strands is not easily broken.

Anonymous said...

Two quick points.

1) Sometimes real understanding comes from faith and understanding that we can never fully understand something.

2) While father and son suggest hierarchy, don't be fooled. All fathers are also sons.

noah said...

check out the video from week 3 of the class. it's up at www.barefootlansing.com/theology.html - we talked specifically about some of your questions about the heirarchy and the historical development