Sunday, August 12, 2007

Annoying statements

I wish people would stop trying to encourage me by telling me I will get married someday. Last week, I had the difficult duty of explaining to a female friend of mine that I wasn't interested in dating her. When I explained that conversation and how awkward it was to another friend of mine she mentioned not worry because some day I will find the right woman and get married. Then earlier tonight, I was recapping one of my past dating horror stories. After the story, he told me almost the exact same thing about how some day I will get married.

Both statements annoy the heck out of me. The purpose of sharing my experiences in both cases wasn't to illicit pity and say "woe is me, I will never get married". Rather, I was trying to share how difficult it is to reject a crush even when you have no romantic interest in the other person and I was simply sharing a funny moment from my dating past.

The worst thing about it is that both of these friends are single as well so you would think they would have a better grasp of where I was coming from. Maybe they are both preoccupied with finding the "right" person themselves and they transferred their feelings onto me. Or maybe they were really well intentioned and trying to encourage me. But trite answers that miss the point of my stories aren't encouraging to me. Rather they just served as a reminder that our culture remains marriage obsessed even among those who are still single.

4 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Shoot, I'm just glad it didn't get messy...That's when life becomes to exciting

Tameshia said...

I understand your frustration. That's about as irritating as people asking about your dating life with baited breath hoping that you've finally found The One. One of my friends literally asks me every other week if I've gone on a date. I finally had to tell her if I have something to report I will tell her or send up a flare or something and her constant asking doesn't help.

Maybe the humor or frustration in the story translates to them as quiet desperation, when really a story is just a story. And Lord knows, you have some interesting and funny stories. ;o)

Angela said...

Ugh, I know what you're talking about!!! It's a little different, but I'm in a relationship, and people are asking me all the time when we're going to get married. Most of the time, I just really don't know what to say, and I feel like a deer in headlights...

Jon said...

I DON'T think you'll get married someday.

(I really have no idea, but thought I'd try to help.)