Monday, February 26, 2007

The empty restaurant

Ever since I traveled to NY City in 2004 I have tried to make a point of going to locally owned restaurants in lieu of chains. There is something unique and quaint about independent eateries and I figure the money stays in the local economy instead of going to some corporate owner.

Around the corner from my apartment there is one such restaurant that is brand new. The name of place is Crumpets which is a lame name but I figured I would try it out for Breakfast. To preface this story, there have been multiple failed restaurants in this same location. They have mostly failed because the service was terrible and the menu limited. The first time I went to one of the closed places, the gay waiter hit on me the whole time and it made me incredibly uncomfortable. It made my girlfriend even more so. Then I went back to try another restaurant for breakfast and when I ordered my eggs over easy they informed me that they only cooked them scrambled. And they only had white toast, no wheat, no raisin. They were not in business for long.

Well Crumpets is a step up from the last two places but the menu is still limited. They had only three selections for breakfast and I got some type of cream cheese and fruit breakfast sandwich. It was good but I really in the mood for eggs Benedict but it wasn't on the menu. While I was there only one other person was in the restaurant. I hope they are able to stay open but with the track record of the location and the skimpy menu, I wouldn't be on their success. It's too bad because I at least like the idea of a local neighborhood restaurant if not the execution.

3 comments:

Tameshia said...

How could a breakfast restuarant NOT serve over easy eggs -- that's just evil! ;o)

I'll have to check this place out. I love small,local restaurants that are quaint and have unique menus. It's one of the things I miss most about both Indy and Chicago.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Not even was the waiter flirting with you the whole time but my quiche was awful & cold. He could have cared less. As soon as I read your first sentence I was wondering if you would bring up this restuarant.

Anonymous said...

What if this small, quaint, local restaurant owner was to add.... say a Eggs Benedict breakfast sandwich(it can be done) and maybe Biscuits and Sausage Gravy?? Would you give Crumpets another try?