Sunday, September 10, 2006

American Top 40 Flashback


XM radio has recently been replaying Top 40 countdowns from the 1980's. Being a child of the 80's I tuned in and it was like going back in time. Casey Kasem's familiar voice along with great hits from Kool and the Gang, Bruce Springstein and Loverboy, made me long for the music of my youth. They even had a long distance dedication.

What was fun about listening to the show was how vivid my memories are tied to music. I remember when I was about 10 my Mom would go to Sunday School over at Sutton Club Apartments. I would go with her but sneak out into the parking lot to listen to the top 40 countdown while sitting in the car. Things were so carefree back then that the only thing I worried about was if my favorite song would be number one. Today's music just doesn't carry the same emotional attachment as it did back then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find I'm listening '80's rock a lot lately. Guess I'm just going through a mid-life crisis, because I've started reading GI Joe again too

Teacher Mom said...

There are certain 80s songs that remind me of youth group outings from clear back in 6th grade! And you were there, Jeff! LOL

fetzer said...

Heather, we do go back a long time. I still remember the day I first met Danielle Vanderhoff. We went with the youth group to Roaring Twenties (which is now closed) because they played footloose on the radio.

Teacher Mom said...

Did we go there in someone's motor home? If so, I know exactly what you are talking about. Sheesh, you guys were all girl crazy and all of the girls were boy crazy. Those jr. high hormones were flying! LOL

Teacher Mom said...

Oh, by going there in someone's motor home, I meant that the adults took us there in a motor home so we'd all fit into one vehicle. That just didn't sound quite right in my other comment!