Friday, August 04, 2006

Why I would never use Match.com

The other day I heard an advertisement for match.com which is one of those annoying internet dating services. What struck me about the ad was the fact that they were highlighting Dr Phil giving out free dating advice to their members. As if having to resort to internet dating isn't bad enough, now they want to degrade single people by listening to advice from that blowhard.

I read a great column on Teresa Strasser's site about Dr. Phil the other day. Apparently he also wrote a book on dating advice and is now trying to pass himself off as a some kind of dating guru. Doesn't he make enough money from being on Oprah? What's next, him giving advice on haircare products? He probably met his wife at the drive in theater or a at the sock hop so how could he possibly have any incite into today's dating scene?

Worse than him not having any practical dating experience is the complete lack of depth in the advice he dispenses. During the radio ad, a lady explains that she has a hard time finding people to date to which he replies that she shouldn't dream she should do, she shouldn't want she should get. I have no idea what any of that means but I doubt that pithy advice was really helpful to her. Instead of cliches, how about giving her some real advice like say maybe where to meet people or better yet don't waste your time on internet dating sites.

But Dr Phil is not the only shyster out there trying to make a quick buck by selling crappy advice to single people. Just go to Barnes and Noble and you'll see a whole shelf full of books about dating. What's worse is that a lot of dating books are targeted toward single Christians. The author throws in a few verses about sexual purity among the psychobabble and expects people to fall for it. Apparently, though we are an easy mark because somebody is buying this crap. It's probably the person who stays at home reading these books on a Friday night wondering why their alone when they could be out with their friends meeting people.

And it's not just that I don't respect married people giving me advice on dating, it's the fact that there is no one set of rules or advice for dating that works for every person. Just because one person met their true love at the grocery store, doesn't mean everyone else will meet someone there. Believe me, I've tried and all I ever take home is groceries. The problem is you can't advise someone into love. I suppose you can offer ideas on how to meet people, or how to treat one another, but romance is a mysterious mistress that cannot be tamed or captured by reading a book or listening to advice from others. Hopefully, my single compatriots will see through the nonsense and won't fall for the false hope that Dr Phil and Match.com are selling.

5 comments:

kyperman said...

Maybe we should write a book about dating Jeff...if all these other crooks are writing one, there must be a need for some real honest advise. I am looking for a career change, maybe we should compare notes. I am sure we could come up with a list a mile long of WHAT NOT to do!!

P.S. I have mailed your swim trucks!!!

DAKOTARANGER said...

Romance is a myth perpretraited by Sunday School and the greeting card industry (the only business I believe the government needs to regulate by the way).

Shoot, I know why I'm single. Women hate it when guys are either always right or arrogent, that pretty much leaves me out of any chance of marriage.

Feltzy said...

Don't hate the player-Hate the game. The dating game. I do hate the game and I am tired of playing. I am now retired from the dating game. I quit-not even the CBA, the minors, or the CFL. I have so many other things to do with my life that it's a waste of time to be playing games all of the time.

David Drury said...

I agree with Kyper... you should write a book about this, Jeff. You're hilarious and mostly RIGHT about the whole thing. Plus your self-depricating humor is totally marketable right now in hollywood. I be the film rights get picked up!

:-)

-- Hey... I saw this article and it reminded me of your secret crush on the Secretary of State. Feel free to post the picture on your blog!

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51366

DAKOTARANGER said...

Shoot, don't most single Republicanish (I'm a Federalist) have a crush on Doctor Rice.