Monday, October 03, 2005

Who?

I woke up this morning hoping to write about the Michigan-Michigan State game this week but then Bush announces Harriet Miers as his supreme court pick. Now I feel inclined to write and share my opinion before every other blogger says the same thing I am about to say.

First of all, who the heck is Harriet Miers and what makes Bush think she is the best qualified candidate? To be honest, Miers is a blank check and I don't know much about her other than she is a Bush loyalist and is his legal counsel. How bout telling us a little about what she believes in before throwing her out for the supreme court? There is no firm commitment from her to overturn Roe v Wade, to protect property rights or religious freedoms. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. But why select her when there are plenty of other capable choices that would do those things for sure.

To me the pick looks like political cronyism which is not a great way to pick one of the nine most powerful people in the country. Bush had the chance to rally his base by selecting a hard line conservative like Janice Rogers Brown but instead chose to reward a friend with the position. Does the president not realize that most Republicans are not happy with him. He was not impressive handling Hurricand Katrina and then tries to make up for it by throwing billions of our dollars at the problem with very little oversight or planning. He is asleep at the wheel on immigration reform and is getting no traction on any of his domestic agenda. Remember social security reform? Neither does anybody else.

I say all this because I have been the presidents strongest defenders but at what point do you say enough is enough. Naming the supreme court is one of the most long lasting and impacting choices a president can make and Bush blew it. Now this decision definitely puts conservatives in a tough spot because they won't want to oppose his pick but what reassurances do we have that she is going to be a legal conservative. We have none, other than Bush's word which lately rings hollow with conservatives.

8 comments:

kyperman said...

I second every word you said...she better not be a Souter...I am a little disappointed...Bush is starting to look like bad.

Unknown said...

Do you think he assumes she will get rejected and this buys him time to find another qualified white male candidate?

Hate to accuse him of this, but I wonder? Otherwise he's a genious and no one knows it, or an idiot like everyone suspects.

What's your take on the Delaney thing? Did you already chime in about this?

Matt and Heidi said...

Ahh...I think you're being an alarmist. Bush/Rove have manhandled the Democrats for the past 6 years...that's not about to stop.

I don't know about Souter...did he come from within Bush Sr's inner circle? Bush knows her and knows her well. What qualifies her to be his pick? That's it...he knows her.

We won't know the why until Rove publishes his book, but there's a reason...and it isn't because she's an easy pick.

Though not all his decisions have been agreeable to the conservative agenda, he's got a pretty good track record. The economy has been moving in a good direction, the war on terror is hard but moving forward (why is Bush expected to undo decades of poor foreign policy in just a short time?), and he has gotten what he said he wanted on his domestic agenda...maybe not "on time" but it's come about...so much better than Clinton's domestic agenda, which was handed to him by Republicans after a miserable failure on the medical front.

Don't lose hope too soon, dude. I know you're an insider, so don't become a panty-waist like the rest of 'em!!

kyperman said...

The more I read and hear about her, the less concerned I am...she appears to be a evangelical Christian and many people have vouched for her including Jay Seculow "sp" from ACLJ...I think that it will be fine and just might be a "divine" appointment.

DAKOTARANGER said...

I have heard that she is for the world criminal court.

I haven't been this mad in a long time. Heck, I don't think I was this mad at clinton.

I aggree Judge Janis Brown would have been the best choice.

Actually, what I would have done is nominate another man. ruth ginsburg said she hated being the only woman if that would facilitate getting her to leave we could have had another Justice and then nominate Judge Brown (yeah I know pipe dream)

I hope we don't get stabbed in the back again.

kyperman said...

I think what you heard is untrue, I also heard that and don't believe that is true.

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://uiqmzmpw.com/rlbv/czbc.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qyvlkbzd.com/jhjl/jzom.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://uiqmzmpw.com/rlbv/czbc.html | http://wygfcaqz.com/gebg/kkyi.html