Thursday, October 06, 2005

Headed South

In one of my recent posts I wrote about how men are looking for adventure in their lives. Recently, I have not felt that adventuresome but had not really pursued anything exciting. A couple weeks ago I was speaking with my friend Darren and he mentioned his church was taking a trip down to the gulf coast to help the hurricane victims. He asked if I was interested because they had one spot open on the bus. Seeing this as my opportunity to pursue adventure I said yes before knowing any of the details. I am still not clear what our team will be doing exactly but I am leaving this afternoon for Lake Charles, La.

I am excited about being able to help the people in the region who have been devastated by the hurricanes and also nervous because I am not sure what I can do to help. But it is this nervousness that tells me I am doing the right thing. Depending on God instead of my own abilities or plans is what makes this trip so adventuresome. I am not taking my laptop with me but I will post an update on the trip when I get back next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good for you... that sounds like the kind of adventure you've been hoping for. Lately, I've heard two messages repeated... God gives us big dreams for a reason and we should be obedient and not give up hope... on the flip side, what you do in your every day life is making a difference in someone's world whether it feels like it or not. A good balance book to Wild at Heart might be Heaven is a Place on Earth by Wittmer. May God bless your heart during this opportunity to reach out and at the same time be spoken to. So happy for you.