Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A prayer for Katrina's victims

Dear Lord,

I awoke this morning listening to the horrible news accounts regarding the city of New Orleans and the rest of the gulf coast. I am once again amazed at the force and power of nature and yet it pales in comparison to your power. And while you are a God of power you are also a God of mercy. I pray that you would show your mercy by reaching out and comforting those who have lost loved ones. Help them understand why you allowed this to happen as I am sure they are asking that question. For those that lost their homes, I can only imagine the sense of loss and grief and helplessness they must feel after losing everything they own. Help them find peace and a place to rest.

Please use this awful event to move your people to compassion. May the church shine like a beacon in the storm to people who have lost their way. Move my own heart to give and help however I can. I am reminded by this tragedy of how blessed I am. Help me not to take my home and my family and friends for granted. I am sorry that it takes other's losses to remind me of that.

Lord, I know that you are a God who takes pleasure in restoring lives. I ask Lord that you would restore the homes and lives of the people impacted by Katrina. I know that you excel in showing your glory during times of trouble. This is a time of trouble and now is your time to shine. I look forward to seeing your hand at work.

I ask all this in the name of Jesus Christ.

Amen.

No comments: