Saturday, August 13, 2005

Friends

The last few months I have been feeling a bit out of place here in Lansing. Until just recently it seemed like most of my closest friends were from college and lived in other cities. It is hard to develop the same type of relationships post college and it seemed like the friends I had gotten closest to here in Lansing had moved away. As a non-married person, friends are important, especially when you have good news or bad news to share or even when you want to hang out at the last minute. Some days it's hard to find that type of friendship.

Having said that, over the past few weeks, I have noticed just blessed I am to have a couple of close friends in town. Two men have taken the time to hang out with me lately and I am really enjoying their friendship. Kevin and I have become regulars at the starbucks and even have an outdoor table that we have established as our preferred seating. I have known Sarah, Kevin's wife since college but just got to know Kevin this year. At first I wasn't exactly sure what he and I would have in common but the more we hang out, the more I enjoy him. He has a very good perspective on life and I like just sitting around talking and bouncing ideas off of him. Hanging out with him reminds me of my college days.

Aaron and I became friends last fall. His wife and my ex-girlfriend are close friends and before I knew it all four of us were hanging out for game night. Lately we have ditched the women and gone to the movies and played a round of golf and I look forward to doing more guy things with him. What I like best about Aaron is how honest and real he is. There is no pretense with him and I really like that. I feel like I can just simply be myself around him.

What I like most about both Aaron and Kevin is that "get me". It's hard to describe, but I often feel like people don't know where I am coming from but these two guys both do. I appreciate that. They make living Lansing a little more bearable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hey jeffery! whats up man? I have some questions for you so if you could give me a call i'd love to talk to you. Well i have a new post on my xanga, b/c for sum reason i've been sorta deppressed lately? i dunno why. but yea, i'm a grandma buntons til 6 so you can call there, numbers 456-0584 but after 6 i shall be at dads...woo hoo! well, i love you! l8r dude

Heidi said...

This sounds like a good season, Friend. I'm glad. You have so much to offer others as a friend, it's great that there are new opportunities coming your way. Come see us again sometime.

Anonymous said...

That is so great. The message on Sunday was about "4 ways to ruin your life" and the second was something like "try to live your life on your own in your own strength". Wonderful to hear about guys encouraging each other. On the "get me" comment... it is rare to experience that with newer friends. A definite gift. I think I often get caught up in the hoping to be understood only to miss out on glimpsing what I could understand.