Monday, August 29, 2005

My weekend with the kids

This weekend I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time around kids. Saturday I helped out Brian and Tammy who are friends of mine from church. They run a carnival every year at MSU for the international students. The students bring their families to the event and there are several games where they win tickets and prizes. They even had snow cone and popcorn machines. I was assigned to the fishing pond game and the kids had a great time with most of them coming back multiple times to play. The kids came all from over the globe and were really well behaved. Much better behaved than American kids.

That night I called my friend Aaron to hang out. I was hoping to play cards but he had offered to help his neighbor fix his car. They started at three and were still going strong at 8 when I got there. After sharing my limited advice on fixing cars which included my willingness to call a professional, I went inside and hung out with their wives and kids. Reagan is 2 years old and she was really excited when I came into the room. I love that. I wish older women would have the same response. Reagan is very fun and very talkative. After she went to bed, I then turned my attention to Preston who is a cute little 5 month old boy. I just sat and held him for about an hour. It was really relaxing to have a kid to cuddle with. I hated to give him back to his mother at the end of the night.

Sunday morning I volunteered for nursery. I have been trying to give up nursery duty for over a year but my friend Michelle begged me to help out. I did have a good time playing with the little kids. There are so many toys that watching them is a pretty easy task. The hardest part is breaking up fights when they all want to play with the same thing.

All in all it was a fun weekend. I think I like being around kids. They really are a blessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I love that. I wish older women would have the same response."

Well, if nothing comes your way, let me know and I'll have my grandma swing by and act all excited when she see's you. This offer won't last long! ;o)

IndyMom said...

I can imagine that my daughter was probably one of those in the nursery fights you had to break up. We are trying to teach her to share. She has lots of opportunities to share with her two older siblings. But, that ugly little carnal nature just keeps rearing it's head - she is a selfish little child (but then aren't we all).

DAKOTARANGER said...

Sharing is over rated. We are Americans we don't share!! If they keep fighting you should see tickets or run a gaming book.