Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chalk one up for the little guy

A couple weeks ago I stopped by an Amoco station on 28th street in Grand Rapids to purchase some aspirin. After I paid for it I realized that I had been overcharged twenty cents so I asked for my twenty cents back. The woman behind the counter refused and told me the price on the aspirin was mismarked and that the price on the scanner was correct. I then politely went the rack and pulled down every box of aspirin and dumped them on the counter in front of her so she could see that they all had the same price. This did not convince her but it did irritate the long line of people waiting in line behind me. At this point I really didn't care about the money but I was frustrated that she could care less about overcharging me. After 20 minutes or so I received the name of the store manager to contact and her phone number and left without receiving my refund.

The next day I attempted to call the number for the store manager to determine how to remedy the situation. The number did not work. She had given me a bad phone number. This really pissed me off but unfortunately for them they underestimated my determination for justice. So I drove back to Grand Rapids and asked for my refund in person a second time. This time the woman behind the counter was helpful but new and did not know how to respond to me. I asked her to call the manager and she left a message for the store manager to contact me.

By now, the few friends I had told the story to thought I was crazy for pursuing a lousy twenty cents but I was undeterred and anxiously waited for my phone call. A couple days later after not receiving a call, I decided to draft a letter to the gas station demanding my money back. After reading the scanner law, I also realized I was entitled to an additional amount equal to ten times the original overpayment. In my letter I promised to unleash the full power of state government unless I received my $2.20. I got a call yesterday from their corporate office apologizing and I was able to pick up my just compensation last night.

It feels good to win a battle against big oil and greedy corporate interests. Even though the amount I received won't even cover one gallon of gas. But at least they are aware that they can't simply screw the consumer without fear of recrimination. Chalk one up for the little guy.

9 comments:

Matt and Heidi said...

Gosh, Fetz...you sound like a liberal!!

Anonymous said...

I think he sounds like a guy who got screwed. Then when the screwers didn't care and assumed he would let the low-level screwing go unchecked, he called them on it. I hope that's not jsomething only a liberal would do. To me, it's the whole 'give than an inch' idea. Today it's $0.20, tomorrow...

indilove said...

Id take it as givin to charity dude. gd karma.

Serena said...

"A man after my own heart!
Way to take action and stand up for the rights of...the American consummer? Hell! all of mankind.
Way to stick it to the man!"

As funny and as well written as that anecdote is, I wouldn't be telling people I actually know about. People will get that you are either 1) cheap, 2) obsessive, or 3) both.

kyperman said...

As your very good friend and advisor in all things from women to fantasy sports, I have to say while I think you are nuts for pursuing 20 cents, I applaud you anyway...I almost got screwed for 200 bucks by T-Mobile a while back and I also raised holy heck until they admitted a mistake and gave me a refund...it's not the amount of money in this case, but the principal. I don't agree that all big corporations are greedy and out to screw the little guy...but some are and you did the right thing...nevermind that you wasted about 20 bucks in gas money to go back and forth from Grannd Rapids for 20 cents !!!

Beth Wilmot said...

You go, Jeff. Did you tithe your two cents? :}

DAKOTARANGER said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

lol I love you jeff! i could not stop laughing through this whole thing, lol! Well, i agree with what kyper said. Also i have a new blog so just follow the link. later dude

Unknown said...

thumbs up, dude.