Sunday, July 10, 2005

Anchors Away

Today I attended a going away party for my nephew Josh. He ships out tomorrow to join the Navy. He is a good kid; level headed, smart and dependable. The kind of person one thinks ought to be representing our country in the military. Ever since I've known him he has wanted to be in the military. I am excited that he finally gets to achieve his dream. I am also proud that he is willing to serve his country and commit to something bigger than himself.

My sister in law is having a hard time saying goodbye. I could see the hesitation and sadness in her eyes at the party. Today I realized just how big a commitment it is for both those who serve in the armed forces and for those they leave behind. Parties similar to Josh's are taking place every day as young men and women leave their families to defend our country. I need to remember that when I watch the news and read about the wars going on around the world. These are real men and women risking their lives for my defense.

I wish Josh the best in his new endeavor and pray for his protection. Chances are he won't see combat but one never knows. What I do know is that America is better off today because of his commitment and because of the other men and women who serve our country.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Thank you, Josh, for your service to our country. My wife, 3 boys, and I are thankful for you and the rest of our military willing to protect our nation and our freedom. We pray for your protection.

kyperman said...

Anchors away Josh, God Bless and if you see any action...kick some terrorist butt for me.

DAKOTARANGER said...

Josh thanks for sticking your neck out for us and this Great Country. God be with you