Monday, May 30, 2005

Rest-a-While

I spent Saturday at my friend Todd and Julie Kuiper's cottage in Grand Haven. Actually, it is Todd's parent's cottage and they are gracious enough to let us use it. The name of the cottage is called rest-a-while and the name is a perfect fit. Every year around Memorial Day the Kuipers invite Jon and Beth Wilmot and I to spend the weekend at the cottage. I have a lot of good memories at this cottage.

My first time at the cottage was way back in 1993 when a bunch of us college buddies stayed there and went to our friend Duke's wedding up in Fremont. I'll never forget that weekend. My old roommate Dan had never been to the beach so it was fun to show him the sand and the water. (I was also there when he saw his first escalator, which is a story I'll share in another post someday.) We had a great time that weekend. We grilled, went to the beach and stayed up late talking and playing cards. I miss a lot of those friends but am thankful that I still see Todd and Jon on a regular basis.

A couple years ago, it rained all weekend and the kids got stir crazy. Julie and Beth didn't love the fact that Jon and Todd and I played Video games all day while they took care of the kids. I didn't mind because I kept whooping on both of them in Madden 2000. It was also the first weekend after I broke up with Liz. I wasn't a couple anymore which was a little bit of an adjustment because Liz was such a good fit with the group. As I look back to that weekend it was actually fun but it reminded me that we are all growing up and how much life changes.

This year was very restful. During the day, we took Caleb, Josh and Ethan for a walk in the woods to look for squirrels. Then later in the day went down to play in the sand at the beach. Their kids are all so cool. Very well behaved. I am amazed how big Abby and AJ are getting. Abby has the cutest toothy grin. In the evening, Julie and Beth took the kids so we could have some guy time which is incredibly rare these days. We went to see Star Wars, played Race for the Whitehouse and talked about our fantasy baseball league. The only downside of the weekend besides losing to Jon, was that I didn't get to visit with Julie or Beth very much. They are both remarkable women and I still wonder how Todd and Jon got so lucky.

I love the fact that we have this annual get together. I enjoy my friends and Grand Haven is the perfect location. It is good to rest-a-while.

3 comments:

Jon said...

Is it rest-a-while or rest-a-wile? I'm confused.

Remember, there is no such thing as luck. :)

kyperman said...

It was good to have you there. I have been very blessed to have a place to go to and rest-a-while. Some of my very best memories have taken place at that cottage.

chiquita norwood said...

Beth wilmot is a lying bitch. She does'nt know who I am but I saw a bunch of pics of her with kominek, naked except for some ties etc... taken in a room much like the title place she claims she was shot in by woodfield. Truth is her and kominek killed her friend and framed woodfield. Then too there is how lake koontz probably trolled I-5 . Yes you people are full of it. Her wounds will be checked out with mri and it will prove to be fake