Sunday, May 01, 2005

Blind Dates and Boxing

It was another interesting weekend. Initially, my friend Ray's Mom was trying to set me up on a blind date with one of her friends. I have a bad history with blind dates. I am always amazed at why people would think I have anything in common with the person whom I am being set up with. But I told Ray I was open to it because at this point, I figure I have nothing to lose other than my dignity and a few hours on Saturday night.

I know it sounds sad the my dating life has become so bad that I have friend's moms trying to set me up with unsuspecting women. What's even sadder is that the women wasn't interested and decided not to do it. Now I am used to getting turned down on dates but usually it takes knowing me a few weeks. I didn't even get to use any of my boyish charm and good looks to win her over.

As it turns out, Ray and I went to the Golden Glove boxing state championship instead. We were waiting in the lobby debating whether or not to buy tickets because they were more expensive than we thought. I am trying to save money and Ray has always been thrifty with a buck. Anyways, out of the blue a guy comes up to me and asks me if I want his ticket for free. It was a very generous gesture and so we decided to stay and watch the boxing.

I had never seen boxing live and it was fun. The first match was between two women which was a little weird. I think I could probably take both of them. Of course they were only 119 pounds. Once the men started fighting the action got a lot better. I sat next to a drunk guy who kept wanting to wager a buck on each fight with me. Eventually, I took him up on it until he was all out money. At one point he was collecting all his loose change so he could continue betting with me. Some people never learn. Ray and I also were picking each fight but only for bragging rights. So I guess I can brag because I kicked his butt.

On the way home, I realized how lucky I am to have a friend like Ray. I have known him since junior high and we have gone through a lot together. He's a really good guy and we had a fun night together. It sure beat going on a blind date.

2 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

That's Why I always say it is better to have a hot pizza than a cold woman. Fetz don't give up God promised that he will give the desires of the heart. I'm sure the right woman will come along.

fetzer said...

Thanks Craig. Personally, I would be happier with a cold pizza and a hot woman.