Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Random Thoughts

For the 31st year in a row I missed the boring event called the Daytona 500. I hear some guy named Jeff won so I guess that's a good thing. Really if they wanted to make it more watchable they should have a wife or girlfriend ride along in the car to nag the drivers. Now that would be reality TV.

I am starting to get excited about fantasy baseball. In fact, I am more excited about it than the real baseball league starting. The reason is because each year we have a new draft and everybody gets to start from an equal position. If only the Pirates and Tigers had the same chance.

I recently read an article about the 10 worst tyrants in the world. I only knew a few of them and wondered how big a threat can they be if I didn't even know they existed. But then again who had heard of Al Queda or a guy named Bin Laden before September 11th.

After this weekend's pitiful attempt to resurrect the season, the NHL should stand for Knuckle Head Losers. Millionaires are arguing about a salary cap when they should instead be working together to make their sport more entertaining and fan friendly. The fact that the dog show last week got a larger audience than the Stanley cup finals last year says it all about the state of hockey.

Even though yesterday was Presidents Day, today is George Washington's actual birthday. Growing up, Washington was widely considered the best president but today it is more fashionable to pick someone else. I say history speaks for itself and that it is unlikely the country could have sustained itself without a strong, thoughtful leader like Washington.

Today we had a school milage vote and it got me to thinking. If education tops the list of voters priorities every year why do so many school milages fail? Could it be that they want other people to pay more but not themselves?

I just had my 13 year old nephew spend the weekend with me. The thing I noticed most was how mature his faith is. He doesn't know about theology or exegetical bible study or who the early church fathers were. He just loves Jesus. His example is one I should learn from. I pray he is able to maintain his zeal as he gets older.

Last Sunday I had the privilege to substitute teach for the 5-6 year olds at my church. I was nervous that I wasn't prepared but all they needed was glitter glue and construction paper to keep them occupied. Oh and lots of hand wipes. I wish the rest of the world were so easy.

Today is the 25th anniversary of the miracle on ice when the Americans beat the Russians in the Olympic hockey semi-final. I have faint memories of the event but still believe this was the greatest upset in Olympic history and maybe in all of sports.

3 comments:

Matt and Heidi said...

Hey, Fetzer...re-read yor first paragraph of random thoughts...then connect those dots to the whole Valentine's Day stinks blog...hmmm...

Furr

fetzer said...

So you're saying is if I liked nascar more I would date more women?

Heidi said...

No dear, he's saying that not all women nag their men... just a sec... Matt! Look out, stop tailgating that guy!!!