Sunday, January 25, 2009

Titanic

Yesterday, I finally watched the movie Titanic. I skipped it in the theaters several years ago and it wasn't really on my wish list. But I have been sick and couped up all weekend and decided I had the prerequisite three hours to spend watching it. Frankly, I doubted I would like it, since I typically dislike big blockbusters. However, I really enjoyed it. For some reason, I found my cynicism for love melted as I rooted for Jack and Rose. In fact, it got me to thinking of my own life and how I wished I had someone to fall in love with. I want to meet someone and have that instant chemistry that bonds us together. Of course, I don't want to have to go down with the Titanic to find that soulmate. Although some of my most recent dating experiences have felt like a sinking ship.

I keep thinking to myself, what I am doing wrong. Then I remember that my life is not a Hollywood movie. But I see many of my friends happy and in love. I am not sure what their secret is but I definitely have not discovered it. Many people have suggested that my expectations are too high. But settling for someone less than my soul mate doesn't excite me. I have experienced the real work that it takes to invest in a relationship and it isn't worth it unless I have that emotional spark. Unfortunately as my desire to fall is love is piqued, I simply haven't met anybody that ignites my desire to throw caution to the wind. I want to want to call her every night not out of duty but because I need to hear her voice. I want to have my entire day justified simply because I get to spend a few minutes with her. I want to share everyday experiences and transform them from ordinary to favorite memories simply because we spend time together. Is that too much to ask for? Or maybe it just happens in movies.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hey man, as always, appreciate your honesty and ability to communicate what's going on in your head and heart.

Love stories are crazy. Each one so different and unique. I have no doubt that your story will be just as unique as you are and that there is a reason for your wait.

On the other hand, I'm thinking of all the divorce and broken marriages that I could tell you about, and I'm thinking 'way to go for not settling!'

In the meantime, all I can say is, rent more action movies. :)

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

You know the real reason you did not go see that movie, was not that you do not like blockbusters. It is because you did not have Rob or myself to see it with. Be Real dude...who could ever forget "Forget Paris"...Tin Cup...amongst others...

I do not leave my name for this one

DAKOTARANGER said...

Should have rented Open Range, better movie.

Really, I'm convinced that a soulmate is just an invention of Sunday Schools and the greeting card industry.

Honestly, I wish I could answer if that is too much to ask, there really isn't an answer other than the other typical stupid Christian answers that really don't do any good. I guess I should have added this to my prayer list a couple of years ago.