Saturday, November 15, 2008

Studio 28

I just read in the Grand Rapids Press that Studio 28 is closing. This came as quite a shock. I recall as a kid going there often and at one time it was the largest movie theater in the country. How times change. I have many memories of that place including my first time sneaking into an R rated movie. It was exhilarating getting past the ticket person and into the forbidden theater. The movie was running scared and not all that great but it was fun watching something that we weren't allowed to. One summer my co-workers and I would leave straight form work to catch the matinees. I think we watched The Firm and Jurassic Park that year.

Back then going to the movies was a big event. Now I suppose people just wait for their netflix to come in the mail and watch it at home. One thing I always remember was the parking lot being super crowded but I guess today you could park near the front and that's the problem. I get a little sad when I think of all the changes to my home town. Showcase Cinemas is now a Home Depot or something and the Quad closed years ago. I guess kids have their new hangouts but mine are definitely vanishing.

I read in the article that they are having a special event to close the theater on November 23rd. Anybody from GR want to go with me?

2 comments:

Loving Our Homeschool said...

We're at my parents right now and my mom just last night told me about Studio 28 closing. I remember being dropped off there with friends in jr. high which was oh-so-exciting. Times change, huh?
Heather

jules said...

Todd and I just drove by there last weekend and I commented to him on how I missed that place. We used to get dropped off also in Jr.High and then after the movies we would run across the street (yes, 28th Street) to the music store to look at the cassette tapes!

The 23rd sounds great. I'll check with Todd. Can you email us the details??