Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Three day weekend

I love three day weekends and this weekend was no exception. I was able to golf twice and although I shot a terrible score in may last round, it was still fun and nice to be out in the warm weather. I also took my first boat ride of the summer yesterday with my family and floated around on a raft in my parent's lake. Last night however I was feeling the effects of the sun as my forehead was bright red.

But perhaps the best part of the weekend was the free time to catch up around the house. I was finally able to clean and do the dishes and put away my laundry. I finally had reason to get my summer clothes out and put away my sweaters. I also got caught up on some paperwork and paid the bills. Heck I even paid my taxes finally. It feels good to be done with all those chores and so now I can relax by reading or playing poker on-line without feeling guilty.

One update on my hunt for a new church. I went to St. Gerard's catholic church this weekend. As I wrote a couple posts ago, I was tired of going alone and so when my friend Ryan offered to go with me to his church, I jumped at the opportunity. The service was nice but I still get a little confused by much of it. I also sensed that a healthy portion of the people there were just going through the motions. I shouldn't pass judgment and frankly I think the same can be said for any number of churches including protestant ones.

The homily was very good as it was on Jesus' ascension. The priest talked about how the disciples were looking into the sky waiting while the angel told them to stop looking up and start spreading the word. He also mentioned that Jesus believed and entrusted them to spread his word and how Jesus bestows that same level of belief and confidence on us. I find myself often doubting that God could place that kind of responsibility on me because I know my own limitations. But then I think I God sees my potential and talents while I tend to give them short change. The priest's words were good words for me to hear this week.

Next Sunday I am headed to Northpointe church with a couple friends of mine from Faith Church. Her brother goes there and they are going to see him and invited me along. So it looks like I will have company again which a very a good thing.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hey Jeff,

We, too, are doin' the church hunt. I think we've settled on a big Free Evangelical...not a fan of the mega-church, but we met some people that seemed like the "real deal" and that was encouraging.

May you find real people who love Jesus!
jr

fetzer said...

Jeannie, Looking for a new church is not an easy task. I am glad you found something you like. How's your brother in law's campaign going?

Heather, It's great to hear from you again. You really were up late. I thought I was the only one who surfed the net at 2 in the morning. How are things in Indiana? Shoot me an email sometime. If you go to my profile you can find my email address.

Anonymous said...

Fetz,

I have enjoyed reading your blog as of late and am interested in your search for a church. We are laying the groundwork now for Compass Church (www.compasschurchonline.org) and are working hard to make sure that it isn't just another cookie cutter church in Grand Rapids.

Keep in touch.

Chad